Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

The end is nigh for the dummy

(13 Posts)
bibiboo Mon 23-May-05 15:58:20

We are planning on weaning dd off her dummy next week (while dh is on half term). We were always adamant that she would never have one, but being a sucky baby, she benefited greatly from the comfort sucking at night time. Now, she's getting to the stage that she needs it to go to sleep whatever time it is, not just at night, so we've decided to nip it in the bud.

Basically, what I'd like are suggestions, tips or success stories from other MNers I can refer back to when i'm at the end of my tether next week! Part of me thinks cold turkey will b eless confusing than giving her the dummy at night only, but I don't really know if cold turkey is a bit too harsh for a 7mo. TIA

expatinscotland Mon 23-May-05 16:02:14

Hats off, bib. DD still takes her 'dubby' to sleep at night and she's two next month.

QueenEagle Mon 23-May-05 16:03:18

If your baby gets comfort from sucking and only has it at sleep times then personally I would continue letting her have one. Mine all had one until the age of 3ish, only at night and never walked round in the day with one stuck in their mouths. You might actually be creating a problem if you take it away now imo. It's a personal thing though, you must decide what's best for you.

expatinscotland Mon 23-May-05 16:07:40

Queen
A pal of a mine had a GREAT solution when her 3.5 year old still wanted her dummy. She coated them all with vinegar and let them air dry. Her DD then came to her and told her it tasted horrid. She replied that dummies start to taste nasty when you get to old for them. That was the end of that!

Prettybird Mon 23-May-05 16:11:03

I read soemwhere that there was a windo at around 6 months where you could get rid of the dummy, otherwise you were likely to have to leave it until they were around 3.

DS was a sucky baby (although he never needed his dummy to go to sleep) and we took it away at 6 months with no ill effects.

I'd give cold turkey a go next week and see if you are stil in that "window". If it doesn't work, then concnetrate on just using it at night.

QueenEagle Mon 23-May-05 16:32:31

expat - what an excellent idea! Cruel but effective!

Blu Mon 23-May-05 16:48:57

If she's only 7m, I'd leave it for now.

sallycinnamon Tue 24-May-05 13:26:50

Wish we'd bitten the bullet earlier. Like the vinegar suggestion! DD is 2.3 and will only ever go to sleep with it firmly rammed in. I'm sure its making her front teeth stick out. Looking back she could do without it at 6-7 months- but it was that really hot summer and it would just make going to sleep easier in a warm bedroom. And here we are nearly 2 years on.....

beachyhead Tue 24-May-05 13:30:22

My two has theirs taken away at 3.5 years and 2.75 years. They had only had them for sleeping up to then anyway and they managed cold turkey fine - I'd leave it for a while - they do have their uses......

QueenEagle Tue 24-May-05 13:34:13

fwiw - All of my older (4) children had a dummy and I never had a problem getting it off them when I wanted to. dd was nearly 4 I think but my next 2 were about two and a half.

I think it seems a little cruel to take it off a baby of only 7 months especially if they find it comforting.

chipmonkey Tue 24-May-05 13:35:40

My parents took my bottle away when I was 2. I don't think I had a dummy. Apparently I went around looking for my "TLE" for 2 days and then forgot about it. (I called it the "TLE" because when my parents were talking about the bottle around me they would spell it "b-o-t-T-L-E" and I thought thats what it was called!)

bibiboo Tue 24-May-05 14:35:29

Thanks for all the messages and suggestions. I'm starting to think that maybe 7m is a little early to take it away, and I think I have more of a problem with the way it looks. I hate seeing babies and children with dummies in and don't want half my dd's gorgeous face obscured by a big ugly lump of plastic. I also get images of her communicating through "suck" noises like Maggie from the Simpsons and it makes me shudder.
Am I only doing this for my benefit? I feel like a sh*tty mother now!

sharklet Tue 24-May-05 16:57:56

Hi There,

I have to say I hated the thought of dummies. DH's mum gave it to DD first and as it was our wedding day and it was all very stressful and it was easier as she took it to let her have it.

Now I am glad she has it. There are many times I want to stop her having it (I am like you I hate the way it looks etc) She only has it when she is really inconsolable, or when she is having a hard time getting off to sleep. I htink we'll let her have it til 2 or 2 then it might be a cold turkey thing. I have to say there are times its very helpful!

Don't feel bad about it though.

Emma x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: