Talk

Advanced search

come and tell me about controlled crying

(6 Posts)
Greatfun Wed 29-Jul-09 19:35:25

Right, I have had it. DS will be 16 months old next week and he is still waking at least 2 times a night for milk. Last night he went to sleep at 6.30 as usual. Woke at 9.30 so I let him cry and went in intermittnetly to comfort and offer water (which he threw across the room hmm). This went on for an hour and a half until I relented and gave him milk. Shoudl I hvae just held out? He woke again at 2am but went back to sleep after 2 visits from me and no milk. The night before he woke 6 times! I am tired and want him to sleep.

ramblingmum Wed 29-Jul-09 19:55:56

I dont know much about the theory of controlled crying, but when DD1 was 11 months old I decided that I had had enough of night feeds. She was a good weight and eating well in the day and I felt it was just habbit. For the first 3 or 4 nights she cried for 1-2 hours, then she started sleeping through. I would go into check on her and offered water , which like your son she refused. I know it can be really hard to hold out , at times I had my husband holding on to me to stop be going to feed her.

Greatfun Wed 29-Jul-09 20:08:36

Thanks. Thats good to know. I feel awful and have to fight my urge to go in and feed him but it is some what ridiculous to thini that he needs that much milk given what he eats and his weight. I will persevere.

Loopymumsy Wed 29-Jul-09 20:14:54

Message withdrawn

Confuzzeled Wed 29-Jul-09 20:29:57

I had a very bad sleeper, I tried every trick in the book, and every book for that matter.

CC didn't work for us but I think everyone is different.

Personally I would attempt to stop the milk before you try and stop the waking. Does that make sense? My dd would still wake even after I stopped the night feeds. I found the No Cry Sleep Solution the best.

Persevere with not giving milk, offer water, hugs, back rubbing, shushing, sing softly, whatever takes his mind off milk.

cherryred Thu 30-Jul-09 16:47:04

with my dd I gradually watered down her night-time milk over a period of about 2 weeks until it was just water, she lost interest pretty soon after that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now