Talk

Advanced search

Activities for 18months - 2years?

(9 Posts)
JennyPenny22 Wed 29-Jul-09 17:47:08

I have run out of ideas! And trying to avoid soft play etc as I am assuming it is going to be absolutly packed during the summer holidays.

DD1 has swine flu too so we are stuck inside this week but can go out after that. Just want to keep her entertained/stimulated.

cupcake78 Wed 29-Jul-09 19:04:12

We have been baking biscuits, scones etc. Playing with playdoh. Making cubby holes with blankets, chairs and tables. Indoor picnic. If you have a garage or shed then sandpit outside - can be done cheap with plastic storage box and play sand.

Splashing in puddles, been out tonight doing that and its great fun and not necessarily going to come into contact with others. If you have any outside space a bucket filled with warm water and bubbles (washing up liquid) tends to keep my ds occupied for at least 15mins grin. Dustpan and brush or duster can work as well. Help with washing up, putting a few plastic things in a sink with warm water and letting ds pretends to help.

Making hand puppets out of old socks and sticky paper. Paper plate faces.
Cbeebies internet site is quite good for a while.

We have also been to soft play today and it wasn't as bad as I thought it could have been. Swimming was packed tho so not recommended!

Hope this helps and has given you some ideas. Good luck. If you have anymore then please let me know cos i'm running out now as well grin

smackapacka Wed 29-Jul-09 19:17:56

Iplayed shop with my 18 month old DD, oh and I found a website with things to do....

http://www.toddlertoddler.com/toddleractivitiesgames.html

JennyPenny22 Wed 29-Jul-09 19:56:27

That link isn't working for me sad

JennyPenny22 Wed 29-Jul-09 20:00:57

cupcake - how old are your DC? When we have tried doing crafts like that DD just doesn't have a clue and looks at me like a mad woman! She won't join it at the craft table at toddlers either!

We did have great fun with a big cardboard box today crawling in it etc. But I don't have space to keep that out!

We do have a garden and we use that most days at some point.

DD is 19 months. I also have a 3 month old too so I want to make the most of the time with DD1 when DD2 is asleep.

smackapacka Wed 29-Jul-09 20:06:38

Sorry - I just googled activities for toddlers - theres quite a few ideas out there.

try again

Woooozle100 Wed 29-Jul-09 20:08:06

here

ThePurplePim Wed 29-Jul-09 20:22:34

Puddles are definitely our top option - my ds is 21 months and obsessed with puddles. Also sand. Not much into crafts, but does enjoy 'helping' to wash up. Cooking gingerbread men COMPLETE disaster (although he did enjoy sampling the raw ingredients - ALL of the raw ingredients. There are days when I find it hard to keep my equanimity when faced with a boy who will eat raw flour and sand by the handful but not his dinner).

If you have a veggie patch, try introducing toddlers to raw peas straight from the pod, or the first ripe strawberries (but reconcile yourself to the fact that you'll get none of your crop - ds is now a bigger veggie pest than slugs!).

Cupcake - love the ideas about paper plate faces and sock puppets. Will try these tomorrow. It's so easy to get stuck in a groove of doing the same stuff over and over again...

cupcake78 Thu 30-Jul-09 13:51:19

My ds is 22mths. I have to admit some things are more popular than others but I find it depends on the day and the mood of ds.

Ds does look abit confused to start with but what I do is sit next to him and make one of my own and help him with his. Its messy and can take longer to arrange and tidy up than it keeps ds busy but its something I really enjoy so he picks up on that. He justs like to squidge and squeeze stuff.

I'm a SAHM mum out of circumstance rather than choice and have been since ds was born. I'm not a natural mum so have had to think of things to keep me occupied as well as him.

I've just found out today ds loves to play with rolled up magazines, he thinks there swords hmm and loves it when they unroll, thats really funny apparently! You've just got to revert back to being a big kid and try things.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now