Talk

Advanced search

DH says DS should only watch 30 minutes tv a day

(20 Posts)
fruitstick Wed 29-Jul-09 08:43:49

Can I hit him? (DH not DD). DS is 3 and watches tv in the morning while I have a shower, get dressed, get baby dressed.

He watches a pepper pig during one of baby's feeds during the day and watches tv for half an hour before his bath.

I don't think this is excessive, and is certainly far less tha he watches with DH at the weekend hmm.

There is no nursery for 7 weeks so there is going to be some balamory!

I should add that DH likes to wonder round the house pointing out areas of improvement in my parenting which can range from keeping him in the house too much to taking him out too much and tiring him out.... but maybe that should be another post.

franklymydear Wed 29-Jul-09 08:47:43

Say "fine dear", then grab your bag and go out for the day leaving him to it grin

sarah293 Wed 29-Jul-09 08:51:56

Message withdrawn

fruitstick Wed 29-Jul-09 08:56:33

I meant wander obviously blush

plimple Wed 29-Jul-09 08:56:48

Yes!
What does he do? Does he look after DCs? Does he have a job? Do you go to whatever he does and criticise his work?
I don't know what the whole problem with tv is. I watch tv in the evenings and my DD watches tv if she's in the house and asks for it. She also asks to go in the garden, help me cook/wash up, paint, go to playgroup etc and we do all those things too.

Gateau Wed 29-Jul-09 09:08:28

DHs are a laugh, aren't they? Leave yours for a day alone with both DC and see how he manages with 30 mins of tv.
That said, I constantly worry that my DS (2) watches too much. If I didn't put it on I would get nothing done; if he was happy to play independently I wouldn't have it on nearly as much. He watches it in the morning while I get ready and clean up the kitchen, while I'm making the dinner in the evening and just before he goes to bed for a little while.
My DH often goes on about too much tv watching yet when I was off work sick on Monday and in bed and he was looking after DS, the tv was on for bloody ages in the morning - and he wasn't even doing any housework! I had a go at him this morning about it.
I think DS does whatch too much tv but my Mum and my MIL keep reassuring me that as long as he's not stuck on front of it for hours on end then it's not a problem. I hope they're right.

Tortington Wed 29-Jul-09 09:09:34

i think you need a little gettaway

Gateau Wed 29-Jul-09 09:14:03

"I don't know what the whole problem with tv is. I watch tv in the evenings and my DD watches tv if she's in the house and asks for it."
Glad to see your post, plimple. Your approach seems very level-headed. We also do loads of other stuff but the tv thing just gets to me: probably cos everyone (well, a lot of people) is so hung up about it these days. Some people barely have it on for their children. Their children must be happy to play on their own; believe me, I've tried to get DS to do that, but it just doesn't work for long.

pointydog Wed 29-Jul-09 09:22:03

your dh sound slike an arse

plimple Wed 29-Jul-09 09:46:09

That's why tv doesn't bother me, my DD can play happily for ages on her own, she's got a good imagination and good language and communication skills and is 25 months. I used to watch loads of tv when I was little, but also did other things (not half as many other things as my dd does!) and I consider myself to be perfectly well rounded, intelligent and normal.

squeaver Wed 29-Jul-09 09:50:14

Hmm, this is definitely about more than just the TV isn't it?

SoupDragon Wed 29-Jul-09 09:52:15

I agree - your DH needs to be left alone with his son for a long period of time.

Acinonyx Wed 29-Jul-09 10:06:50

In our house, the one who does most of the childcare gets to make the rules and relentlessly hound the other parent to comply. Seems reasonable to me wink

I also use TV to get a shower and for quiet time (i.e.mummy's sanity-saving time).

twofalls Wed 29-Jul-09 10:16:06

I broke my leg on boxing day and spent a week in hospital. DH went from being anti-tv to it being his best friend. Not suggesting you do anything as extreme by the way - a weekend away with the girls would probably be more fun grin

I completely agree with pimple by the way. And now, DD doesn't just watch it, she acts along with it - she acted out the whole of beauty and the beast yesterday with all her teddies as the other characters.

Your DH needs to walk a couple of days in your shoes.

dilemma456 Wed 29-Jul-09 13:10:03

Message withdrawn

hocuspontas Wed 29-Jul-09 13:12:14

And insist he has a shower as well grin

Fizzylemonade Wed 29-Jul-09 17:38:40

In praise of TV, my 3 yr old son made a tower which was wonky and said "look Mummy, leaning tower of Pisa" ah, Little Einsteins on Playhouse Disney grin

I think it is about quality rather than quantity. My 6yr old likes Cartoon Network which I hate and my 3 yr old watches that too, I limit that but Playhouse Disney and Cbeebies is all fab, no tat adverts and all good quality programs.

Agree with others, go away for the weekend and leave him to it. I am lucky that my Dh is great and I get to to go away several times a year grin

buy1get1free Wed 29-Jul-09 20:27:18

Yeah, mines says the same, until he's left with them for the day .... and I know for a fact they are glued to the box and often don't even get fed shock Sanctimonious g*ts !! grin

fruitstick Thu 30-Jul-09 20:35:16

Thank you all, glad it's not just me.

DS knows an array of exotic animals thanks to the Wonderpets grin

Dh was firmly put in his place when he got home from work and was promptly told that he would have to sit and play a game with DS instead of watching peppa pig as he had already had his alloted 30 mins for the day. grin grin

Gateau Tue 04-Aug-09 10:00:52

Good on you, fruitstick; that'll teach him! grin
What was your Dh's reaction?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now