Talk

Advanced search

Nursery in the morning or afternoons?

(12 Posts)
justlookatthatbooty Tue 28-Jul-09 16:33:26

We have the choice of signing DS up at nursery for either 4 hours in the am (8.30 -12.30) or afternoons 2.30 to 5.30. Am 40+3 with his sister and am finding it hard to imagine what our new structure will be like in a few months time.

Any experiences to share?

thanks!

EldonAve Tue 28-Jul-09 16:34:47

does he still sleep in the afternoon?
I found mornings better

whomovedmychocolate Tue 28-Jul-09 16:35:43

Get the mornings - you will need them to get your DD sorted and just have a chance to breathe!

Afternoons are crap - toddlers are tired and crabby and you still have to entertain them in the morning - if you send them for the morning, they come back knackered and just want to read books/do quiet things for the rest of the day - result!

muggglewump Tue 28-Jul-09 16:41:01

Mornings.
DD started Pre-School just before she turned 3 and it really tired her out, even though it was just 9-11.30. She could then nap in the afternoon.
Also, I could go out in the afternoon and didn't need to get back, whereas Pre-School in the afternoon would have meant we couldn't have gone far as we wouldn't have been back in time.

Catilla Tue 28-Jul-09 16:45:13

I was given afternoons, no choice. Wasn't very happy and did feel a bit restricted has had to get any activity done and lunch eaten and at nursery by 12.45!
HOWEVER, I would then come home, put my younger child to bed for 2 hour nap, and have a WHOLE TWO HOURS to myself - fantastic! Then still time to either relax together or do something fun together after nursery.

Having said that, I only did it 1-2 days per week as I work on the other days, so perhaps doing it every day would be a bit wearing as you can never go far either before or after nursery.

Good luck with the new one!

Dophus Tue 28-Jul-09 16:46:08

Go for the mornings - they are also tired in the afternoons.

Even if your DC doesn't get crotchedy - others will and this is mroe disruptive.

lynniep Tue 28-Jul-09 16:48:28

I' ve always put him in afternoons. He generally naps some time between 11 and 2 (he's 2.5 now) and has been going since he was around a year old. (1-5.45 - although we never get him there until about 2 because he's napping/I'm trying to get him to eat)

Its always been better for me that way around, because he's 'fresher' in the morning - he likes to play with his toys and I get a bit of naptime thrown in. I also feel like I get a bit of a breather in the afternoon - it breaks up the day quite well. I do actually work from home - but its still a break wink

He gets crabby on a Monday because he does a full day and never gets to nursery until gone 9 as he wants to play at home.

JJsandcat Tue 28-Jul-09 17:01:01

How old is your LO? I'm having the same conundrum and decided I go for afternoons because she sleeps in the morning but can go for 5h in the afternoon and I'm knackered singing 3 blind mice for the 15th time.

Mine is 10mths.

Lifeinagoldfishbowl Tue 28-Jul-09 17:02:04

Mornings for under 3's over 3.5 I'd say either.

justlookatthatbooty Thu 30-Jul-09 08:05:21

Just come back and seen all the helpful posts...thankyou. DS is 18 months almost and naps between 12 and 2 so I think mornings might be best as can prob stretch it to 1 - 3.

thanks for all the tips.

bigchris Thu 30-Jul-09 08:09:53

i did the mornings too, then if the nap wasnt happening in the afternoon they chilled in front of a dvd

BonsoirAnna Thu 30-Jul-09 08:15:39

Afternoons! You will be able to laze around in the morning and then take your new baby for a nice peaceful walk in the afternoon (she will sleep) or else have a nap yourself.

You will all three be totally frazzled by lunchtime if he does mornings.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now