Talk

Advanced search

If DS is still sleeping in our bed by the time he goes to school, will he get the piss taken out of him?

(14 Posts)
crokky Mon 27-Jul-09 13:06:01

If DS is still sleeping in our bed by the time he goes to school, will he get the piss taken out of him? Don't be afraid to tell me bluntly, because if it is something I should sort out, I need to know!!

He is currently 3.4 so not going to school until Sept 2010, although he is already at the nursery that is part of the school.

He is young for his age and I only started him sleeping in our bed because he wanted to etc and started refusing the cot. We have 2 beds in our room - DS is in "our" bed which sometimes me and DH are in as well and DD is in another bed in our room which sometimes I go in as well. (Both were very poor sleepers and this is how we ended up like this). DD is 1.4 and refuses the cot just like DS did.

Thanks for any help!

sandyballs Mon 27-Jul-09 13:10:32

I'm not sure any micky taking would take place but if I were you I'd be starting to sort this out for my own sanity grin

Sidge Mon 27-Jul-09 13:13:05

I can't see how anybody would know.

flashharriet Mon 27-Jul-09 13:14:26

Agree with sandyballs. Micky taking unlikely in Reception I would have thought. Does DS have his own room? I would try and sort it out sooner rather than later though, unless you're happy with it smile

celticbohys Mon 27-Jul-09 13:15:02

Can't imagine any micky taking happening, who's gonna know that he is sleeping in your bed?

agree with sandyballs though smile

FranSanDisco Mon 27-Jul-09 13:15:13

How would anyone know. One of ds's classmates used to take his dummy to school in his book bag. Don't think anyone said anything though it's a bit shock for a 5 yo.

hocuspontas Mon 27-Jul-09 13:15:19

Yes - why would anyone know?

Ok, sleepovers might be tricky grin

dds had their own bedrooms but slept with us until they were at least 7 or 8. No problem.

littleducks Mon 27-Jul-09 13:15:30

does he have his own room?

i dont think he will tell people at school, it wont even be apparent on playdates if he has his own room with toys in

bottletopbill Mon 27-Jul-09 13:15:50

our ds 4.5yrs comes into our bed every night early hours...we get to go back to sleep, he sleeps and we all wake up happy.

He starts school Jan 2010 and Im just hoping that 5 days a week will tire him out and he wil sleep all night.

Our ds is terrified of the dark, being on his own etc... This is genuine so I dont see the need to battle with him to make him stay somewhere he doesnt want to be.

Do what is best for you and your family. It doesnt last forever!

crokky Mon 27-Jul-09 13:23:33

He has his own room. It has a bed with thomas quilt, lots of thomas engines and track, some jungle curtains and a chest of drawers with his clothes in. And some stikarounds on the wall. He loves it all, he plays in there on his own all the time. It's just he won't sleep in there grin. He is at the school nursery and within a few days, he had told them that he "sleeps in mummy bed" lol. No idea how to get him in there - he's tall enough to climb over stair gates (the stairgate on his door is so DD doesn't go in as all the toys in there are not really suitable for her).

bottletopbill Mon 27-Jul-09 13:42:33

Ive struggled for the past year when ds was just over 3 - he has always hated it - weve also done the whole Thomas bit and Reward charts but I sat him down one day no toys to distract and he said Mummy I jus done like it when you go, I dont like the dark or being on my own because of monsters.

We went through the whole there are no monsters, to pretending to throw them out of the window.

You can beat yourself up about this for the next 12 months or just do as I did - relax, and get your sleep ... everyone in our household is very happy and content...12 months ago it was crying, screaming, anxiousness, me and hubby at each others throats now we just take it in our stride and know he will eventually stay in his own bed

cornsillk Mon 27-Jul-09 13:46:40

No-one will know. A fair amount of children will do the same anyway.

crokky Mon 27-Jul-09 16:51:52

Thanks everyone, I will leave things as they are for now I think and wait for the day when he wants to sleep in his lovely room! Our room is manky in comparison - 12yr old brown skanky carpet with heavy wear - his room is pristine!

CADS Mon 27-Jul-09 17:54:42

Agree with everyone else. No one is likely to know. DS just finished reception and a few of his classmates still climb into their parents bed.

DS slept in my bed most nights until he started school. I wouldn't worry about it, there is still a lot of time before he starts school, and things can change greatly.

To be honest, I sometimes miss our middle of the night cuddles with DS, so enjoy while you can. One day he won't want to be seen with never mind sleeping with you. My ds (5.6) already refuses to kiss me in public.

CADS

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now