Talk

Advanced search

DS1 22 months and not eating much anymore ..

(9 Posts)
Shell001 Fri 24-Jul-09 14:00:00

Is the normal .. he used most things but just wants chocolate and pasta and even toast with butter on is a no no cereal with milk is a no no .. milk at bedtime is a no no ...

weetabix sometimes
bananas no
cheese no
half a yougurt now
mash no no

??????????

sleeplessinstretford Fri 24-Jul-09 20:19:44

snap. It's shit isn't it?
mine can seemingly take or leave food- she's full of energy and developing well though so she must be taking enough on board.
we've seen a nutritionist who says to just ignore,praise eachother for being good eaters,take dinner away without comment if it's uneaten and don't offer anything else until the next meal time. Mine broke her hungerstrike today and ate,2 mouthful's of fish,half a petit filous,3 grapes and a slice of pizza-oh and a few raisins.
Yesterday she ate a few raspberries,half a crumpet and erm a breadstick and a segment of satsuma.
we keep a food diary and over the course of a week/month she does ok.
hope things improve as mine really does drive me mad with it!good luck!

TurtleAnn Fri 24-Jul-09 21:30:17

Is his nutrition compromised?
Has he eaten something each day?
When was the last time he ate something other than chocolate, pasta, yoghurt and weetabix?

Shell001 Fri 24-Jul-09 22:15:07

today he had weetabix but for weeks every morning wouldnt touch it .. about 4 spoons then organix crisp .. would touch apple banana scone or butter today ..

He loves spag bol and give him it for lunch but had 5 - 6 mouthfuls and then wouldnt touch ..
a spoonful of little star yogurt .. then later on asked chocolate and give him mini milky way stars ..
Tea time chicken mash and peas .. ate 3 4 spoonfuls of mash and 2 little stripes of chicken breast and then asked for crispes and get so upset if you say no ..
He drinks so much though is that a bad thing i mean 10 beakers at leats of well diluted squash of fresh fruit juice watered down ..
So he is getting something but today he had a little poo and it took some time to come out ..
HE is saying no and turning head to everything and previous would bite most things you offer ...
Im making veggie past sauce tomorrow mixing loads of veggies see if that helps ..
Is it the stage of nearly being 2yr ?

sleeplessinstretford Fri 24-Jul-09 22:34:21

yup,and he's your baby-but personally-i'd not be giving him crisps,chocolate or anything else as an alternative. They are manipulative little sods. i'd rather eat a diet of just crap but can't so obv it's up to you but let him go hungry and buggar the upset-you've got a few more years of having to say no to him to come yet-might as well start practicing now!

Shell001 Fri 24-Jul-09 22:40:50

True .. must try harder and stop this now. I said id never give chocolate etc to him look at me .. its having DS2 3 months and trying to please him im suppose for a period of tiem to do something of see to DS2.

sleeplessinstretford Fri 24-Jul-09 23:04:48

don't beat yourself up-our particular minefield is breakfast where she can literally eat nothing-which leads to her being horrific for the entire morning-becoming overtired/over hungry-launching everything she can at me-running round the park like a fucking BANSHEE screaming 'no swings/slide/climbing frame children' at any other kids who are there-do what you need to do to get you through the day but according to my latest guru (the nutritionist)she says don't pander to them.good luck!
*ps i have been known to give mine smarties to get us through to lunchtime!*

MegBusset Fri 24-Jul-09 23:19:11

It is the stage, honestly. DS1 is 2.5 and has been a fussy eater for about a year now. Would agree not to give crisps and sweets as a substitute. DS1 does have a limited amount of crisps and biscuits in his diet but only as a treat and if he has already eaten some healthy food that day. I do not give these at mealtimes, though -- if he asks then I just say "We don't have crisps/biscuits/chocolate at breakfast/lunch/teatime". They soon learn it's not worth asking!

Offer things that you think he is likely to eat, but that are reasonably healthy. If he doesn't want any then take away without making a fuss. Toddlers can seemingly survive on air. A few mouthfuls may well be all he needs to get him through to the next snack or meal -- I do offer DS1 healthy snacks between meals as he seems to be more of a grazer.

TurtleAnn Sat 25-Jul-09 18:07:16

It might be worth a trip to the GP, just to check he doesn't have a urinary infection - the drinking lots of water and loss of appetite can be indicators, and they are dead easy to pick up.

It doesn't sound mega serious if he is eating something each day. There are two avenues open if things become really serious, i.e. total refusal of food or weight loss, both of which can be accessed via your GP. Referral to a Speech and Language Therapist for a feeding assessment OR referral to a paediatrician who will refer on to a clinical psychologist for feeding assessment. Both of these professionals will be able to handle severe behavioural feeding difficulties. A dietician, also accessible via your GP, will be able to give nutritional advice about which foods to feed and tempt your child to open his appetite. But these routes are for serious difficulties and your son isn't at the serious end of fussy yet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now