Talk

Advanced search

POLL is 5 too young for a Nintendo DS?

(26 Posts)
electra Thu 23-Jul-09 17:55:00

And if not, where is the best place to buy one?? TIA

Hulababy Thu 23-Jul-09 17:56:32

I personally don't think so. DD got hers at 5y and she loves it, but is in no way obsessed with it.

Not sure where cheapest plac to buy though.

TheProfiteroleThief Thu 23-Jul-09 17:57:57

Nope - they are fab. Get a clear plastic case for all the stickers and crap she will want to customise is with grin

paranoidpiggy Thu 23-Jul-09 17:59:07

My dd is 5 and was fascinated by one a little boy had on the train. She has a Leapster which she enjoys but will no doubt have grown out of by the end of the year

LIZS Thu 23-Jul-09 18:00:53

There seems to be some packages around at likes of Toys r Us but nothing spectacular good value. 5 not too young (dd was 6) but several games have a significant amount of reading and instructions and can cause frustration if they don't "get" it at first.

Wilts Thu 23-Jul-09 18:01:03

Both my boys had them at five. They are fab for long car trips.

elliepac Thu 23-Jul-09 18:02:26

DS is 5 and got his for christmas. He loves it but as hula says is not obsessed at all. As long as you get age appropriate games (although be careful we have bought some games which have turned out to be way too difficult for him). We got DS a preowned one which was a bit cheaper than a new one from the computer shop Game. There is also a chain called Gamestation which have good deals on especially now the new DSi is out.

FelixFelicis Thu 23-Jul-09 18:02:49

Depends. Dd got one for her 9th birthday and loves it but not in an obsessive way.

Ds (7) otoh would play all day long on it if I let him.

Sagacious Thu 23-Jul-09 18:03:27

7 is the optimum age IMO

electra Thu 23-Jul-09 22:47:32

Thanks for replies smile

Lilyloo Thu 23-Jul-09 22:49:33

ds got his at 5 , uses it more for long journeys or camping!
DD 4 got one off her grandma doesn't really bother with it at all.
But 5 not too young imo

weegiemum Thu 23-Jul-09 22:53:29

We got ours (have 3 of the things) off ebay. Got them very cheap as a new version had just come out! Not had any bother with them at all.

Our kids are 9, 7 and 5. Its our 7yo is the most obsessed, but he's like that with every computer thingy there is.

Great for long car journeys, keeping them quiet during speeches at weddings etc ......

Frizbe Thu 23-Jul-09 22:59:26

No, not at all, ss age 11 has one, dd1 age 5 has one and dd2 age 3 has one, she loves playing dora on her's! and mario mini games, its a godsend on long car journeys and in airports!

clemette Thu 23-Jul-09 23:26:12

I don't know, but if you buy them for age 5 what games are suitable/recommended?

MollieO Thu 23-Jul-09 23:37:10

Ds (5) uses mine on holiday. He has friends who seem to do nothing else and I'm keen that he doesn't do the same. He sees it as a treat and not something he would do at home. He's asked for a Wii but as we only have a 14" tv I can't see the point!

piprabbit Thu 23-Jul-09 23:39:04

DD (5) borrows my DS Lite to play her Peppa Pig game - which she loves (and no reading involved!).

hmc Thu 23-Jul-09 23:39:19

Nope - very useful for travel

PrincessLayer Thu 23-Jul-09 23:52:16

No. 5 is just fine. My DS was nearly 5 when he got his. There are tons of games. Just have a browse in your local/online game shop. See if there are games based on characters he likes. You can always look them up online and see if you think he can "do" them.

I think they are suitable for almost any age (providing they are old enough not to try and eat the pen).

(cough R4 card cough)

Hulababy Fri 24-Jul-09 08:54:04

Which games depends on the child and their interests. Many games do involve a lot of reading but there are plenty out their without the need for reading.

davidla Wed 29-Jul-09 12:38:19

We got ours from Argos as they had (have?) pretty good package deals - consol, 2 games, travel pack for £130. Game.com also do deals with reconditioned consols (tho these may only be avilable in store)
DS is 6 - got one recently - he loves it but doesn't complain when he is told to stop.

DottyDot Wed 29-Jul-09 12:39:41

5 is great for a second hand gameboy from e-bay - you can get them for about £11 and ds2 loves his - very cheap but exciting birthday present.

I'm trying not to get them nintendo ds's - but we'll see... hmm

Washersaurus Wed 29-Jul-09 12:42:59

I let DS1(4) use mine to play on the 'Interactive Storybook' games (there are 3 different ones I think) - he likes it because he can draw and colour in, but it also reads the stories. Mind you he only uses it when we are stuck in traffic and occasionally if we are camping.

I don't think I will give him his own console for a couple of years at least <optimistic>

Iklboo Wed 29-Jul-09 12:45:48

DS (nearly 4) has a couple of games on mine - I Did It Mum 1 & 2 which he really enjoys playing as there are lots of activities on each one

Tortington Wed 29-Jul-09 12:46:12

yes

ShauntheSheep Wed 29-Jul-09 12:52:05

No Dont think so. DD has one with a card in it at the age of 3 and plays Mario and tetris nad Cooking Mama and few ohter games like that but not that often (and generally whwen I want to play it angry).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now