Talk

Advanced search

Holiday projects/crafts etc

(10 Posts)
bronze Thu 23-Jul-09 17:52:46

MIL has rung me and told me to buy some things for the kids to do during the holidays (age 2, 4 and 6), shes paying. I don't mind crafts but hate anything too messy, paint etc. I'm not houseproud but they're prone to silliness. Thats what I send them to playgroup for grin.

So has anyone got any suggestions?

Hulababy Thu 23-Jul-09 17:53:56

6y could do a mini scrapbook of her summer holidys.

Aquadraw for the younger ones?

TurtleAnn Thu 23-Jul-09 19:22:22

The cheaper books stores, Books etc, have things like sticker books, creative books that are fairly cheap and full of ideas for make and do.

I personally prefer the active play stuff:
treasure hunts
making a map of the garden and then adding in where the dangerous dinosaurs are, which bit has the all consuming mud pool and then using the map to get to the end with pretend play
decorate the cot with A4 butterflies (take them down b4 bed)
put on gloves and dig up the weeds (my garden is full of japanese root thing, so requires constant attention and there is no danger of destroying precious plants)
follow the robot hoover round the house
2 & 4 yr olds can cut up (under supervision) catalogues and junk mail and make brainstorm pictures of categories, e.g. everything we find in the garden, everything we find in the kitchen (it is a speech therapy game we get the kids to play during the summer holidays to develop their vocabulary and categorisation skills)

Good luck, I cant wait until my DS grows up enough to play games with

bronze Thu 23-Jul-09 19:29:54

I have a whole list of things we're going to do. Make trifles next but also includes planting herbs making balsa planes and stuff and we go and hunt the savages in the woods but mil has told me to buy some bits I think she means crafty or puzzle books style things from what she said but I'm trying to stretch that a bit

TurtleAnn Thu 23-Jul-09 20:09:25

Usbourne Books:
Big Book of things to spot
Summer things to make & do

Anna Milsen's - Pirates
Ed Emberleys - Drawing book of animals

If Woolies hadn't closed there were a bunch of games for a fiver: crazy bugs, pop up dragon, build a beetle

lucykate Thu 23-Jul-09 20:39:05

some websites full of ideas here,

crafty crow

the artful parent

kids craft weekly

junior society

bronze Thu 23-Jul-09 21:01:50

thanks people

just remembered my 101 book of things to do, reminds me of peppermint creams

HappyMummyOfOne Fri 24-Jul-09 09:02:28

Yellow Moon do a great range of craft items, if you dont want the paint etc they do childs puppet kits, sewing type activities, magic maize (just need water to stick it), sticker mosaics etc.

HappyMummyOfOne Fri 24-Jul-09 09:05:20

Forgot to say, for the younder ones Crayola Colour Wonder packs are fab, they come in "paints" or felt tip type pens and only work on the crayola books so they can paint and colour with no mess. They are a little expensive but very good.

bronze Fri 24-Jul-09 11:48:13

yellow moon is fab thankyou

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now