Talk

Advanced search

Out of pull ups tonight for 1st time - tips and advice plus do you think I should?

(12 Posts)
bottletopbill Thu 23-Jul-09 14:10:47

ds now 4.7yrs still in pj pants (huggies £5.50 for 10!!!)at night.

We have chatted about not wearing any a night and he;s all for it. This week been making him go for a wee before bed, and after stories...this week out of say 5 mornings been dry 3.

He was wet this morning though. I have one pull up left - he says he wants to go without oen tonight.

Ive borrowed a mat (soft fabric/cotton one) that goes under sheet from say the pillow down to half way down bed.

Im really nervous about doing it until he's been dry every morning for at least a week.

What do you think about this?

PrincessToadstool Thu 23-Jul-09 14:14:23

I have absolutely no experience, DS only 1, but as he has asked I think I would give him a go - as long as you don't think he will be too annoyed/upset with himself if he is wet?

Sorry I don't know what I am talking about blush

SleepyGrrrl Thu 23-Jul-09 14:50:19

Personally, i'd let him try.

As long as you have protection over the mattress, plenty of bedding, and lots of patience, he'll get there.

And not letting might make him more anxious- maybe make him feel like he's a failure or will never do it.

My DS1 is coming out of nappies at night now (he's 3yrs) and has some wet mornings. Each night i ask him - nappy tonight, or no nappy? - and he decides for himself. Usually it's no nappy.

bottletopbill Thu 23-Jul-09 16:25:42

Thanks sleepy - so if he wets with no nappy does this wake him up in night? If so what do you do - change him, bedding, settle him back down?

SleepyGrrrl Fri 24-Jul-09 07:59:14

yes, i just keep things near the bed, and also i put a potty next to his bed.

Often he'll stir, get up too wee in the potty, then call me to say he's done it.

If he does wet the bed, it's usually in the morning not long before he'd get up anyway. I normally just say something like 'never mind, everyone has accidents when they're little' and strip and quickly re-make his bed.

He wet it this morning actually, i think because he slept in longer than usual.

SleepyGrrrl Fri 24-Jul-09 08:00:09

and i don't know if this would help, but i don't bother putting PJ bottoms on him, just a long sleeved top. Less to wash and change if he does have an accident then!

bottletopbill Fri 24-Jul-09 13:17:58

woke at 2.30am and he's wet the bed bless him. Time I'd changed him and sripped his bed he ended up in our bed.

Tonight Im going to double layer the bed, so if he does wet it, I can strip sheet and protector off with the spare set already underneath so can settle him back in bed quickly.

He wants to keep continuing though so dont want him to get downheartened

MrsFreedy Fri 24-Jul-09 13:47:02

We have just come out of the same situation with my 4.5year old DD.

We used the Pampers Bed Mats which are disposable mattress protectors that go over the sheet and they have wings to stop them from slipping There are 7 in a pack and you get them in the nappy isle in the major superstores.

Our DD would have one on her bed and if she had an accident then I would take it off and put a fresh one on.

I do not give her a big night-time drink and I also take her to the toilet again before I went to bed - in fact I still do.

The other incentive I used (sorry folks) she wanted a particular Dora doll so I said once she became dry she could have it so it was something to work towards. It did take time and we had lots of accidents but we got there in the end and so will your DS.

Good luck and stay positive.

SolidGoldBrass Fri 24-Jul-09 13:50:37

Agree about the bed mats - you can leave them on indefinitely unless DC actally wet them and though they are not that eco they are comfier and less disturbing for DC than plastic sheeting on the mattress.

SleepyGrrrl Fri 24-Jul-09 14:31:58

it's good he wants to keep trying, even though he wet it again though smile

bottletopbill Fri 24-Jul-09 21:19:10

so far so good tonight, he wanted to still go and try.

fingercrossed for a dry night!

bottletopbill Sun 26-Jul-09 17:32:06

wet again last night twice! at 11.30pm and then woke again at 2am...so going to abandon and put back in pull ups...and try again in a few weeks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now