Talk

Advanced search

Any homeopaths here? DS may have swallowed Caulophyllum 200c accidentally...

(37 Posts)
justlookatthatbooty Wed 22-Jul-09 18:17:25

Just found my labour preparation bottle of caulophyllum 200c Homeopathic remedy open on the floor with several of the little tablets lying next to it. Saw him chewing/sucking a few mins earlier but assumed it was the remains of our sushi. Am not panicking but wondering if anyone can advise if we should expect a level of disturbance/ill effects esp as 200c is such a high dose.

thanks!

cthea Wed 22-Jul-09 18:19:03

You'll find out that there's nothing in it. He'll be fine.

paranoidpiggy Wed 22-Jul-09 18:19:39

Erm...
The words 'sugar pill' come to mind. Sorry. I doubt it's done any harm tbh

BitOfFun Wed 22-Jul-09 18:21:21

There's nothing in them at all that would harm him, please don't worry.

liath Wed 22-Jul-09 18:21:28

I'm afraid I'm having a little chuckle at the juxtaposition of "high dose" and "homeopathic". Seriously, he should be fine.

AnybodyHomeMcFly Wed 22-Jul-09 18:23:01

YEp she might get a sugar rush but nowt else!

BitOfFun Wed 22-Jul-09 18:26:59

In fact, maybe you should check out Homeopathic A&E grin

DaisymooSteiner Wed 22-Jul-09 18:38:48

Phone your local A&E it will give them a laugh I'm sure they will be able to reassure you.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Wed 22-Jul-09 18:40:19

I must be very ill as I don't think this is funny and can understand the OP being concerned.

Hope he is okay.

TrinityRhinoHasASillyStepson Wed 22-Jul-09 18:44:21

These poisonous plants has been used for many things throughout history, the three similar species generally have similar properties and uses.[3] This plant is occasionally used in woodland gardens as an ornamental. Children should not be allowed to eat the attractive blue fruits, as these plants contain chemicals that are known to cause cell damage.[4] The powdered roots have been shown to cause dermatitis and irritation of the mucus membranes.

hmm I would be a little concerned tbh

not sure I would be swiggin/taking homeop[athis stuff for reasons of not knwing what the hell they are

TrinityRhinoHasASillyStepson Wed 22-Jul-09 18:45:28

WARNING: This plants should not be used by pregnant women. As this is a known poisonous plant, care should be taken by anyone using this plant.

Historically the root of Caulophyllum has been used as a medicine for: cancer, internal parasites, smooth muscle function, spasms, diuretic, menstruation, and childbirth.[1] It is best known for the latter two uses. Various Native American tribes are also recorded as having used this plant for similar medicinal purposes.[6] While no current widely marketed medicines are based on this plant, modern herbalists and practitioners of alternative medicine still utilize this plant as a natural therapy. Research on the medicinal potentials of this plant are ongoing

TrinityRhinoHasASillyStepson Wed 22-Jul-09 18:45:52

dont think you should be taking them

shonaspurtle Wed 22-Jul-09 18:47:33

Trinity, homeopathic remedies aren't the same as herbal remedies.

There is none of the plant in this. (Just the memory of the plant if you subscribe to the theory)

TrinityRhinoHasASillyStepson Wed 22-Jul-09 18:50:28

pardon?

'the memory of the plant' ?!

are you serious??

ok, I will stop googling and panicking and concentrate on laughing my arse off then
grin

RubberDuck Wed 22-Jul-09 18:51:23

200c means that any active ingredient in the pill is non-existent - it's been diluted to oblivion. Really, don't worry.

an explanation about just how dilute 200C is - basically for a gram of actual ingredient you'd need more water than is in our oceans to dilute it to 200C 'potency'.

shonaspurtle Wed 22-Jul-09 18:59:13

Oh Trinity, I've had such barneys with my friend who's a homeopath that I just keep zipped now.

Yes. Memory apparently.

TrinityRhinoHasASillyStepson Wed 22-Jul-09 19:00:14

that is so funny
I cant beleive that so many people can be conned into this sirt of shite by just thinking they beleive what is written
I guess if I saw 200 on something I would think it was stronger than 6

TrinityRhinoHasASillyStepson Wed 22-Jul-09 19:01:14

memory grin

roffle
abslutely classic
I though homeopathic was just a bit like herbal but no its soo much funnier

confusedfirsttimemum Wed 22-Jul-09 19:02:05

Did anyone watch Dara O'Brian the other night. He has a good sketch about homeopathic medicine...

TrillianAstra Wed 22-Jul-09 19:04:38

There's nothing in them at all that would harm him.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who wanted to
say that.

(Hi Trinity)

TrinityRhinoHasASillyStepson Wed 22-Jul-09 19:31:45

<waves manically at trillian>
grin

homeopathic...<snort>....<chortle>....

jybay Thu 23-Jul-09 04:04:10

Maybe these guys can help?

homeopathic A&E

CarmenSanDiego Thu 23-Jul-09 04:41:29

OMG, my home birth was just like that sketch.

But it worked

TurtleAnn Thu 23-Jul-09 09:34:59

I don't wish to be the sceptic but I do worry about these kinds of pills. Whilst this particular pill may advertise that it only contains the 'memory' of the active ingredient, it is the other ingredients I would worry about.
I largely agree with the other comments, you are facing sugar and water, but I would keep an eye on DS just in case your pill isn't quite what you thought. This industry is not regulated as strictly as formal medicines, therefore the quality assurance for ingredients and strictness of testing to ensure that there is nothing other than sugar and water in the pill just isn't there.
I am not suggesting panic just keeping an eye.

justlookatthatbooty Thu 23-Jul-09 11:34:56

amazing how much piss-taking a genuine question can bring about. Must of you must be seriously bored and lifeless. A few helpful responses, thankyou and the rest of you.....suggest you get a life or perhaps go and hang out on slebtwaddle or somewhere equally mindless.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now