Talk

Advanced search

I am letting my 5 week old Cry It Out

(85 Posts)
NotSoRampantRabbit Tue 21-Jul-09 21:56:27

sad sad sad

I don't know what else to do. She hasn't slept properly for last 3 days - seems to be permanently uncomfortable - grunting, bad wind, can't settle. Am using infacol.

I am bf on demand - she is fed.

She has a clean nappy.

She is warm.

I have tried - feeding to sleep, cuddling, rocking, moby sling, walk in pram.

Am at wits end.

Feel shit.

Why don't my babies know how to sleep.

hanaflower Tue 21-Jul-09 21:58:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FagAshLil Tue 21-Jul-09 21:58:36

She is 5 weeks old
Of course she doesn't know how to sleep. Get her up and give her a cuddle fgs.
She is far far to little for any sort of sleep training

BiscuitStuffer Tue 21-Jul-09 21:59:27

Oh don't feel shit - it is thoroughly dreadful isn't it? How was the birth? She may be physically uncomfortable in a way that a cranial osteopath could help. They have lots of little growth spurts in the first 6 weeks that can exagerate any tensions they have left over from being in the same position in the womb for ages, let alone the birth process.

NotSoRampantRabbit Tue 21-Jul-09 21:59:54

FagAshLil

I am not trying to do sleep training FFS.

I know how old she is - I have been cuddling her all day.

Thanks for the fucking support.

WriggleJiggle Tue 21-Jul-09 22:00:05

Are you sure she is not ill? Have you checked for a temperature? Does she have nappy rash?

3 days of not sleeping is not good, for you or her. If she isn't happy, even when in a sling or pram then it sounds as though he needs checking out.

Can you have a relaxing bath for 1/2 hour or so, then try again? Is there anyone who can sake over for an hour or two to give you a break?

Lilyloo Tue 21-Jul-09 22:00:06

Poor you and poor lo is anyone else there to give you a break ?

StrikeUpTheBand Tue 21-Jul-09 22:00:35

Hi,

Does she ever bring up the milk she's just had? My DS made grunting noises and then posseted after every meal. Eventually diagnosed with reflux and we gave him infant Gaviscon. You can also get the kind of reflux where they just have acid indigestion but don't posset. Just a thought.

expertinscunthorpe Tue 21-Jul-09 22:00:47

Oh dear. Will she comfort feed?

bigchris Tue 21-Jul-09 22:01:48

let your partner cuddle her to sleep

go and have a few hours

at that age you feed and when other half is around they cuddle

WriggleJiggle Tue 21-Jul-09 22:02:04

Do you have a friendly neighbour who would rock her for a short while?

NotSoRampantRabbit Tue 21-Jul-09 22:02:18

hanaflower

Yes DH has been helping in between settling 4 year old, making food, tidying up a bit.

He is exhausted too.

She doesn't seem to be comfortable whatever we do.

Used CO for DS with some success - will book an appointment tomorrow.

I feel awful leaving her - but sometimes its ok to put them down is it not?

bigchris Tue 21-Jul-09 22:02:35

i used a dummy at that age tbh

giantkatestacks Tue 21-Jul-09 22:03:12

Will she take a dummy? One of mine wouldnt at all but it was a godsend for the next one.

I know its awful - is there anyone else there with you? Can they take over while you walk round the block?

bigchris Tue 21-Jul-09 22:04:04

but just now what is he doing? one of you shoild be slerping, the other cuddling, if possible

liahgen Tue 21-Jul-09 22:04:17

run a deep slightly warmer than baby temp, (ie comfy for you). couple drops lavendar, if you don't have, don't worry. Get in with her. Feed her in bath, hold her close, swish warm water onto her snuggled up back.

Worked for my very grumpy ds1 many moons ago, and still us eit 4 children more later.

Hey expert, do you live in the sunny scunny?

Lilyloo Tue 21-Jul-09 22:04:38

Can he take over whilst you have bath etc

bigchris Tue 21-Jul-09 22:04:46

lol sleeping smile

sazlocks Tue 21-Jul-09 22:04:50

oh poor you - its so exhausting having a new born isn't it.
Sounds like you have done everything you can to make her comfortable.
Have you eaten anything different that might be affecting her ? My DS used to react to windy foods that I had eaten and acidic stuff like oranges and tomatoes.
Think I would be looking for a health professional opinion in the morning just to make sure there is nothing wrong.
Second the cranial osteopath suggestion.

NotSoRampantRabbit Tue 21-Jul-09 22:04:59

Oh god not bloody reflux - DS had it and was on ranitadine gaviscon - it was the worst year of my life.

Was doing really well - she was happy and content to settle until a couple of days ago.

Expat she is refusing to feed - turning head away, squirming.

I am going to go up and check on her - she has been in her moses basket for 5 mins if that. Surely that is not cruel?

ravenAK Tue 21-Jul-09 22:05:09

It may well be an unpopular notion, but ds was exactly like this at 6 weeks.

What he wanted, as it turned out, was a nice quiet dark room with no-one else in it, where he could scream for 5 minutes & then sleep contentedly for several hours.

So you may be onto something with letting her scream it out.

liahgen Tue 21-Jul-09 22:05:11

use it

liahgen Tue 21-Jul-09 22:05:24

use it

giantkatestacks Tue 21-Jul-09 22:05:28

How does she take to swaddling or tiger in the tree or whatever its called?

Rindercella Tue 21-Jul-09 22:05:39

Oh God, you poor thing. Sleep deprivation must be the hardest thing about having a newborn and it feels like there is nothing you can do about it. Is there anyone who could have her for an hour or two, just so you can get some sleep?

Have you tried white noise - static radio, hairdryer, hoover, etc? Sometimes it can seem to lull the baby to sleep - used to work wonders with my DD.

I really feel for you. I hope it gets better soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now