Talk

Advanced search

2.5 year old suddenly wants a dummy!

(8 Posts)
morningpaper Fri 20-May-05 14:21:01

My daughter is 2.5 and found some dummies at the back of a drawer. She now wants them to go to sleep! They do seem to chill her out.

We are expecting number 2. and I think she is partly wanting to be babied, which is fine with me, but I'm not sure whether I should let her go with the dummies or banish them? Or impose dummy rules?

Any advice welcome!

WigWamBam Fri 20-May-05 14:23:12

Are they hers, and has she ever had them before? Because if not, then I wouldn't let her have them, you can baby her in other ways with lots of snuggles and things.

If they're hers and she only got rid of them recently then there's probably no harm. Depends on the circumstances really.

Flum Fri 20-May-05 14:24:12

I would let her. Bet it only lasts a week.

....but if its more don't come knocking on my door

morningpaper Fri 20-May-05 14:24:27

They were hers about 2.3 years ago... Do you reckon I should take them away then?

WigWamBam Fri 20-May-05 14:25:42

I personally would take them away, but it depends on how you feel.

motherinferior Fri 20-May-05 14:27:01

My older daughter was very similar when her sister was born and perhaps before - she went through a real dummy-phase at night. We went along with it, and with a few other 'I'm a baby' things - and the positive side was she adored her new sister from the off and wasn't jealous of her at all (no doubt it was unrelated, but it's consoling).

smellymelly Fri 20-May-05 14:28:58

Throw them in the Bin!!! And this is coming from someone who has had 4 kids who have or have had dummies!

My ds found his recently he is 5, and thankfully he only had it for 1 hour before I was able to persuade him to give it back.

It will be easier to get rid now, before the new baby comes. Otherwise she may nick the babies one?

foolysh Fri 20-May-05 22:13:50

My children never had dummies but when they have found them (M=Tots group, etc.)... they chew on them. They have no idea about sucking, etc. And they don't do it for long. Even though I couldn't bear to give my own baby a dummy, I would just let her have it if it were my child. Not worth making a fuss over, let her play at being a baby, she'll forget her new toy very quickly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now