Talk

Advanced search

worst ever reason to get babies into a routine!

(16 Posts)
babyphat Fri 17-Jul-09 17:25:17

in the hairdressers this morning, the lady next to me advised me (completely unprompted, i was talking to the hairdresser about his soon-to-be-born twin nephews) that I needed to be organised and get dd into a routine, so i could 'have some me-time every day to blow dry your hair'

PMSL

a bit rude i thought but very funny - i had to break it to her that the last time i used my hairdryer was a year ago to defrost the freezer.

she looked horrified and snootily informed me that in her day, they were brought up not to leave the house with wet hair. i reassured her that i have done just that every day for years with no apparent ill effects

people are strange, aren't they?

StealthPolarBear Fri 17-Jul-09 17:30:17

yes they are, and I agree with you about the wet hair - mine's usually dry before I leave the house, if not it dries on the way to work!
I own a hair dryer - think it has accompanied me on two house moves without ever being used blush - think that may mean I need to get rid!

pispirispis Fri 17-Jul-09 17:31:32

That's hilarious! I'd have PSML too. That's the last thing I'd be doing during precious nap time. For a start, with the brush in one hand and the hairdryer in the other, how the hell do you get/keep the bloody hair on the brush??

Waste of time anyway, ROFL at idea of blowdrying hair for the postman/people in the supermarket to look at! And then getting Ready Brek/snot/baby boak in it...

StealthPolarBear Fri 17-Jul-09 17:33:47

not to mention my DS would no doubt have woken up screaming if I put the dryer on! He could sleep through noise, but low pitched drones like the hoover used to scare him

TheProfiteroleThief Fri 17-Jul-09 17:39:01

Actually, I don't think it is bad advice - to do your best to get baby to a settle-able state so you can spend a few mins on yourself and make yourself look nice is a positive thing. Equally applicable to 5 mins to put on make-up or whatever is your 'thing'

TrillianAstra Fri 17-Jul-09 17:39:07

Bad things happen when I blow-dry my hair. Leaving the house with wet hair has, however, caused no disasters that I am aware of.

missfitt Fri 17-Jul-09 18:54:00

my baby is v settle-able at 9 months - without a routine

that lady must be from the age when they thought going out with wet hair makes you catch a cold/flu/pneumonia/yourdeath.

a friend told me she had to do CC because she and her dh had to go to functions - this was after I refused to accept her advice that I should 'teach' my dd to 'self settle'.

TheProfiteroleThief Fri 17-Jul-09 18:56:20

I think I may patent settle-able as a child rearing philiosophy, possibly with a range of complementary hair products

phlossie Fri 17-Jul-09 19:36:15

Brilliant, theprofiteroletheif, a kind of Tracey Hogg and Nicky Clarke all rolled into one.

I was in the post office today and heard a mad lady with dreadlocks quiz another lady with slightly thinner dreads about how she did them and then completely criticise her method. It's the unsolicited advice thing that throws me.

Steaknife Fri 17-Jul-09 19:44:51

Tricky Clogg or Nacey Harke?

TheProfiteroleThief Fri 17-Jul-09 19:46:51

I may go around local baby groups, offering my fab expertise and impeccable blow dry

GrimmaTheNome Fri 17-Jul-09 19:57:29

The funny thing was, the hairdryer was the one thing which lulled my DD to sleep when she was tiny. White noise, but not horribly loud like a hoover.

So don't worry, thats the one bit of 'you' time you may be able to get anyway.grin

BertieBotts Fri 17-Jul-09 20:02:49

grin So glad I am not the only one who just cannot work out for the life of me how to use a hairdryer competently.

phlossie Sat 18-Jul-09 17:09:15

Me too. I remember arriving at a friend's house with a fraught 6 week old demanding a comfy chair and a hairdryer! It was only thing to distracting him from his tizz. So if you could style the mother's hair while calming her screaming child AND give advice, TheProfiteroleTheif, you'd be on to a good thing.

pispirispis Sat 18-Jul-09 21:43:24

Sounds like a fab idea The Profiterole Thief! grin

FWIW I do think it's important to look after yourself and I do try to look half decent. In fact I dyed my hair yesterday and I'm pretty chuffed with it. But I draw the line at blow-drying my hair. Because I just can not do it. It's just one of those things I'll never be able to do, like ironing a shirt, or a French manicure.

I don't need body any more anyway, I have a sleek bob with a fringe now, which I LOVE!

babyphat Mon 20-Jul-09 19:33:55

well dd is 10 months and is fairly predictable nap-wise etc so i do get 'me-time' really, without having bothered with an actual 'routine', but i'm buggered if i'm going to waste it blow-drying my hair - this is my year off work - me-time is for reading books, drinking tea and getting to wear jeans every day! i like to think i look alright despite my slovenly ways, i've lost the baby weight and i do manage make up most days

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now