Talk

Advanced search

For those of you who are sure your family is finished...

(14 Posts)
peppapighastakenovermylife Fri 17-Jul-09 13:35:26

When did you know it was? Obviously reasons such as age, medical problems or financial issues might play a role in sadly deciding there will be no more babies...but has anyone ever had that feeling that their family is truly complete?

Friends of mine talk about how they knew when their youngest was born that that was it - no more babies. Others say how they get a bit wistful when packing away the baby clothes or feel a bit gooey when holding a newborn but they knew deep down they didnt want any more.

Or is it just a case for some that you will always want more but decided to draw a line?

smile

MovingOutOfBlighty Fri 17-Jul-09 13:37:20

We stopped at 2 when we realised we would have to get a Ford Galaxy or some such hugemobile if we had another.

Had it been 20 years ago and you could just throw them in the back of a Fiesta with no seatbelts it could have been a different story...

fruitshootsandheaves Fri 17-Jul-09 13:41:23

I always wanted 3 and after DC3 I sold all my baby things.
However a year later I got broody shock had never really been properly broody before and have never been broody again since DC4. So I guess I thought I knew but didn't but now I definately know.

phdlife Fri 17-Jul-09 13:41:55

I wanted dc2 when ds was about 10 weeks old hmm because he was so very lovely; dd is now 13 weeks and although she is the loveliest thing ever I don't feel the same way. Well - I kind of do, actually, but age/money/feeble hopes of having a career are all stronger urges now. It's a shame, really, because dh and I do make the loveliest babies. (Oh wait, Did I already mention that? wink)

BecauseImWorthIt Fri 17-Jul-09 13:43:54

I had a miscarriage between DS1 and DS2, so never really enjoyed the second pregnancy as much. And both mine came early - waters broke at 36 1/2 weeks and 36 weeks, so I was very anxious that it would happen even earlier with a third.

And I was 35 when I had DS2, so all things considered, we decided we were grateful we had 2 healthy boys, and that we would call it a day.

If I'd been younger we may have tried again.

meemarsgotabrandnewbump Fri 17-Jul-09 13:44:27

We always wanted 3. There was no way I could have got rid of stuff when we only had 2.

I am now pg with number 3 and it is a totally different feeling. I am actively looking forward to clearing things out of the loft! It just feels like we are finished.

Chrysanthemums Fri 17-Jul-09 13:46:27

Interesting thread, will be watching as I haven't a clue what it feels like not to want another child...I have two and want a third, at the moment. My mother says (though she would, as she doesn't think I ought to have more) that she never stopped having those urges until she had a hysterectomy. She only had two of us.

sad Does it ever stop? I find it really difficult to udnerstand (with all due respect!) people who have one child and don't want any more. Not that I disagree that this is normal or Ok, in any way, but my body goes ballistic after a year or two and demands I have another.

KeithTalent Fri 17-Jul-09 13:50:01

Oh god, I wanted a third baby and had twins, which has completely cured me of any lingering broodiness.

meemarsgotabrandnewbump Fri 17-Jul-09 13:51:15

lol keith! DH was terrified of that happening when we went for number 3!

jellybeans Fri 17-Jul-09 13:52:06

I have 5 but had 2 stillbirths too and 2 m/c. We are stopping at 5 due to... I have had 3 c sections and am very high risk pregnancy wise (cervical stitches, injections etc) so feel it would be too risky to try again, we only have room and car space for 5, we feel 5 is enough so that we can give them what they need. We just feel done. I still get broody now and then but that's it!

herbietea Fri 17-Jul-09 13:52:36

Message withdrawn

ProfYaffle Fri 17-Jul-09 13:52:55

I always knew I wanted 2 dc, as soon as I had dd2 I knew our family was complete, it just felt right. No actual logic to the decision (on my part, dh is different)

misshardbroom Fri 17-Jul-09 13:57:02

After DC2 I just had a strong feeling that there was someone else waiting to be born. Once DC3 was born, that was it, I just felt we were done. No qualms about getting rid of baby stuff, no broodiness at all (he's now 3, and with each of the others I was pg again by the time they were 6 months old).

Now I can admire other people's babies but I have no desire for another one of my own and the idea of giving birth again bloody terrifies me.

peppapighastakenovermylife Fri 17-Jul-09 14:03:02

Quite impressed at speed of answers grin.

See - I have the reasoning that I love my children so much that I cant imagine not wanting to make another one if that makes sense. Logistics obviously come into it - three would be fine, four more of a problem (bigger car, no space etc).

Even when I was 39 weeks pregnant, in pain and still being sick - and actually during the labour - I kept saying I would do it again and have been intensely broody ever since DD was born.

Its strange - I have awful pregnancies and suffer with PND. I am the main breadwinner. Yet I crave more children. I even dream about having twins - and yes I know that is ridiculous in my logical brain.

I want that feeling where enough is enough if that makes sense. I also know I am intensely lucky to possibly be able to have a third - in terms of health, money, age etc. DH's argument is that if I had a third I would want a fourth...I dont see what the problem is there wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now