Talk

Advanced search

My DD's friend has just produced a worrying drawing

(20 Posts)
shockedwhattodo Thu 16-Jul-09 14:03:38

I've name changed for obvious reason.

I'm looking after DD 3+6 and her nearly 4 year old fried today.

They've been doing lots of drawing. I just went to look at some of them and asked DD's fried what the pink oval and sausage like shape were.

Her response was "its mummy's vagina and daddy's big penis"

Should I say anything or do you think its just natural curiousity about "bits".

Tamarto Thu 16-Jul-09 14:04:22

Why is it worrying?

Iklboo Thu 16-Jul-09 14:06:14

DS is always going on about my 'big boobies' and 'twinkle' and his and daddy's 'winkies'
Maybe they share baths or have no hang ups about walking around naked in their own home?

FenellaFudge Thu 16-Jul-09 14:06:22

Gosh, DS cant even draw a stick figure yet, let alone a penis and vagina.

mummypig Thu 16-Jul-09 14:07:05

I don't think it's worrying, unless she's drawn them in a Kama Sutra type position.

At that age I had noticed the lack of genitals on my toys and I made my Rupert the bear a big penis out of plasticine. According to my dad, Rupert's penis came nearly down to his knees. grin

FenellaFudge Thu 16-Jul-09 14:07:36

Oh, its the 4yo not the 3.6yo - hmm, probably they've been having a discussion about the differences between men and women.

Fruitysunshine Thu 16-Jul-09 14:07:40

HHhhhm. It sounds quite factual and it sounds like she has recently been taught the words - probably after asking her parents.

I have to be honest and say I would be surprised but would not necessarily be concerned. Some parents teach their kids earlier than others about body parts. After all, to a child of that age that is all it is. They have no idea what they are used for generally!

I would have a little laugh with her mum later and take the picture home saying - these is the picture that xxx drew today - she is very knowledgeable!

My dd8 knew the names of body parts at 5 or 6. My dd22months is at the laughing stage at the moment if she sees DH with no shorts on!

Don't worry - unless her mum looks worried when you mention it!!

Tamarto Thu 16-Jul-09 14:07:54

Did they really say 'daddys big penis'?

shockedwhattodo Thu 16-Jul-09 14:08:17

Ok, thanks maybe I'm over reacting. I suppose hearing the right words coming out of a three year olds mouth was a bit umm surprising espcially when I thought it was going to be sausage and bacon!

mankyscotslass Thu 16-Jul-09 14:08:36

Unless the picture was of a sex act, and not just of a picture of a man and a woman, why would you be worried?

All my kids have known the prooper names and what parts of the body they belong to since they were tinies, and it's not beyond the realms of possibilities that they would draw a picture containing them.

Do you have any other reason to be concerned?

Tamarto Thu 16-Jul-09 14:08:50

LOL

Tamarto Thu 16-Jul-09 14:09:23

That lol was in reaction to the sausage and bacon comment btw. grin

shockedwhattodo Thu 16-Jul-09 14:09:25

Tamarto - yes

LuluMaman Thu 16-Jul-09 14:09:44

would not be concerned at all

DD is similar age and knows the what a willy and foofoo are , that me and her have a foofoo and daddy and DS hvae a willy

if as iklboo says, teh family dress/undress in front of each other or bath together, tehy are going to see each others bits and bobs, in a totally non sexual or worrying way

i remember DS seeing me in the shower at this sort of age, and being suddenly horrified.. 'mummeee, where has your willy gone!' suddnely realising i did not have one.. children are curious

i would not worry

Iklboo Thu 16-Jul-09 14:12:12

DS has also been known to shout 'mummy's hairy twinkle' prompting a call to the beauty salon blush

shockedwhattodo Thu 16-Jul-09 14:15:07

Thanks Mumsnetters for putting it into prespective! So glad I asked before I called the police and social services, I'd have looked even more of an idiot wink

booyhoo Thu 16-Jul-09 14:17:26

in out hous we dont lock bahroom doors when bathing/showering etc and if we dont make a big rush to get dressed incase someone sees us so for ds its normal to see our body parts and he knows what they are called. im sure if we had been discussing it the next thing he would do is draw them. likewise if we had been talking about horses. its just a normal thing children do if something is in their head. perhaps her parents have recently brought up the subject so she knows the right words rather than what friends at school might tell her.

booyhoo Thu 16-Jul-09 14:18:16

sorry for spelling, am bfing.

Tamarto Thu 16-Jul-09 14:24:41

I do wonder where the 'big' came from though. wink

booyhoo Thu 16-Jul-09 15:05:53

well tamarto, you know kids... they say it like it is wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now