Talk

Advanced search

Be Safe Izikid isofix or mobi rearward facing car seats?

(9 Posts)
gd1976 Wed 15-Jul-09 14:41:49

I am having such a dilemma-

After several weeks of research about group 1 carseats, I have decided to definately go for a rearward facing seat. I have managed to narrow it down to the Maxi Cosi Mobi and the Izikid isofix. I like the idea of isofix as they are impossible to put in incorrectly and therefore safer. Also the seat will be moved between cars alot and it may be more simple to move with not having to use a seatbelt, and again less room for installing incorrectly. However, the izikid is apparently very bulky and takes up a huge amount of space. We have a passat estate and a golf, but it will also need to fit a punto, and the passenger seat will be compromised.
The Mobi is smaller, but without isofix and I am wary of installing it wrongly, with having to move it between cars so much. Is it fiddly to install?
Price wise there isn't much difference where I have sourced them from, but I just want what is best for my ds and practical....

Any advice??

Tangle Wed 15-Jul-09 18:52:55

Can you advise where you have got your sizing information from? When we were looking at RF Grp1 seats last November we talked to the ladies from Essex(who get contracted to do car seat safety checks around the country) - they'd measured all the RF Grp 1 seats available at that time and said the IziKid was one of the smallest - I'd also heard on the grapevine that the Mobi is HUGE.

They're based in Rayleigh - could you get there? That way you could try both seats in at least one of the cars before you commit. Even if you can't visit its worth calling them - they brought 3 or 4 seats for us to try as they were doing safety checks a couple of weeks after I rang. They really are very helpful.

For what its worth, we have the IziKid (non-isofix) in an Audi A3. The front passenger is compromised a little, but not to make it uncomfortable - I'm 5'8 and my husband and sister are both taller, and we're all fine.

Hope that helps

gd1976 Wed 15-Jul-09 21:28:14

Thank you for your advise. I rang Essex today and they're going to ring me back tomorrow so i didn't get to speak to them. The advice about the sizes was from a supplier in York, Philip someone? Can't remember off the top of my head.
That's great to hear the izi kid is actually the smallest.

Thanks you again

Tangle Wed 15-Jul-09 23:33:05

Hmmm. Well I just tracked down the measurements here - according to these, the Izikid requires 72cm and the Mobi needs 96cm! I'd still check with them as I'm fairly sure they took those measurements before the isofix version was available and I guess it is possible that it takes up more room - but I'd be suprise if it took up >25cm more space...

gd1976 Thu 16-Jul-09 11:05:22

Thanks Tangle for that. I have decided to go for the izikid. Sounds like none of them are very suitable for moving between cars so will deal when that when it comes to it!

Thanks for your help

ButterbeerAndLemon Thu 16-Jul-09 11:10:55

Did you look at the Akta/Graco Duologic? It's an ISOFIX seat, but also fits small cars very well.

gd1976 Thu 16-Jul-09 12:22:16

will have a look right now, thanks

gd1976 Thu 16-Jul-09 12:25:55

Butterbeerandlemon- where can you buy duologic from?

ButterbeerAndLemon Thu 16-Jul-09 12:28:35

You can get it from carseat.se -- not sure about any bricks-and-mortar stores.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now