Talk

Advanced search

Ears peirced?

(9 Posts)
jenhden Tue 14-Jul-09 22:21:42

my dd is nearly 7 and wants her ears pierced. i was 7 when mine were done but practically everyone had them done then - now hardly any children do and i just don't know where is stand on it. What have you done/ do you think?

Seona1973 Tue 14-Jul-09 22:37:24

I would let my dd get them done at that age if she wanted (she is 5 1/2 now and doesnt want them done yet!). Mine were done at around the age of 7 too.

MumHadEnough Tue 14-Jul-09 22:39:42

I got mine done for my 7th birthday. I remember so desperately wanting them done. I don't regret it for a minute. If it was my dd I'd let her.

Rindercella Tue 14-Jul-09 22:40:34

Personally I think it is way too young. I would say 12 or 14 is a more appropriate age. Apart from not particularly liking to see small children wear jewellry, I just think 7 is too young to take good care of keeping the holes clean, etc. And it hurts. Why would you want to hurt your child? Sorry.

misshardbroom Tue 14-Jul-09 22:52:12

On the one hand, I don't have a massive problem with it and lots of little girls at DD's school have them done from a young age (there's a lot of Italian girls and it seems to be a bit of a cultural thing).

On the other hand, I agree with Rindercella about the difficulties for a young child in keeping them clean, risk of getting them yanked out when they're dashing round on the playground and turning upside down on the monkey bars etc.

I've told DD (nearly 6) that she can have them done in the summer holidays between Y6 & Y7 (when she'll be almost 12).

tummytickler Tue 14-Jul-09 23:35:44

I have told mine she can have hers done when she is 14 and can get a Saturday job and earn the money to do it herself. DH is dead against it.
I am sure when the time comes we will be more lenient, but no way whilst at primary - if she cam eto me at 12 then maybe.
I really dislike the look of earings on young girls - it looks so wrong to me.

bruffin Wed 15-Jul-09 17:21:52

My DD originally had hers done just before her 10th birthday. We ended up in a&e with the earring had been yanked through the back of her ear and was stuck inside
She let them heal for 2 years.

She is 12 in September and has just had them pierced again.

AppleandMosesMummy Wed 15-Jul-09 19:45:54

Mine can have what they like done when they are 18 and not before, I hate any piercings and will be discouraging them as long as possible.

HerBeatitude Wed 15-Jul-09 19:58:10

I think my basic principle on this is that they're her ears and despite my snobbery about it, if she really, really wants it done, then she can have it done when she's old enough to clean her ears properly, in the summer holidays so she doesn't have to take them out for PE etc. So far I've said she can get them done in between Y6 and Y7, just before she goes to secondary school, but I might relent before then.

I used to be snobby about it, but now I just think oh what the fark, life's too short to get uptight about little things like this. As long as she doesn't get her nose pierced, I'm happy to give in re the earrings.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now