Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Please come and talk to me about Internet Security and surfing DS1

(10 Posts)
lingle Tue 14-Jul-09 18:17:50

Last night I found DS1 (6.7, year 1) googling "How to Draw". And I've previously caught him attempting to send his email address (he doesn't have one and it would only have gone to Toonatiks on the BBC but you see the issue).

I had to have a talk with him about only visiting sites that school or parents had pre-approved but to him there's so little difference between googling and typing in the address bar. And of course if you're googling "How to Draw!" then it's fine but if he starts to check anything about anatomy, etc, we could have real problems.

Both DH and I need to use the computer, and to range around many websites, for work.

I don't want to ban him from the computer. I can't sit and watch him while he uses it.

What do I do next please?

JohnDory Tue 14-Jul-09 18:18:51

does he not have his own account?
with parental control?

lingle Tue 14-Jul-09 18:23:03

I'll give you two guesses.......

screamingabdab Tue 14-Jul-09 18:33:02

I will be watching with interest.

I have a rule that the DCs don't use the computer without asking, but one day, DS and friend (8) sneaked off when I was on the phone, and I found they had tried to google "Bum Stuff" shock. (Not sexual I hasten to add, you know how little boys are obsessed with poo and farts etc.)

Fortunately, they were on Google maps, so were looking at a map of Bumhole, Arizona, or something. I go hot and cold at the idea of what they might have come across.

I have re-iterated the rule about only going on the computer when I am there, and it is in the lounge, and hidden the task bar, so they can't search the internet. We have a list of websites bookmarked that they can access them.

Must put parental controls on !!

screamingabdab Tue 14-Jul-09 18:33:25

Oh, also, they have their own account

lingle Tue 14-Jul-09 18:38:47

do you know how I get him his own account and how I put parental controls in screaming please?

screamingabdab Tue 14-Jul-09 18:58:02

No I don't know, as I am a doofus computer-wise, and DH did it blush

lingle Tue 14-Jul-09 19:04:14

lol at doofus.

help someone please!

JohnDory Tue 14-Jul-09 19:38:47

well our windows thing has what the kids call " faces" ie we click on our own one to do stuff

there is some help here
www.thinkuknow.co.uk/parents/

lingle Tue 14-Jul-09 19:57:08

thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now