Talk

Advanced search

I am not a morning person - does anyone else with toddlers find mornings generally helll??

(12 Posts)
BiscuitStuffer Mon 13-Jul-09 22:09:31

I have 2 and they are fab but I am not until at least 9am and a couple of coffees.

I find it so hard to have to spring out of bed at 5:30am and feed the baby and then hope he will go back to sleep (which he doesn't) and then the older one wakes and so starts the 100 mile an hour start to my day.

Invariably, before I have even managed to have half of my coffee, I have had the TV on for over an hour, performed several nappy changes back to back (them, not me), sorted their breakfast (can't do it the night before as we have cats who would dangle they bums in all the bowls over night) and cleared it up, made mine but not yet eaten it, got them dressed and teeth brushed and me showered.

I look at the clock and realise that 3.5 hours have passed, I still feel as if I've just woken up and am struggling to string a sentence together. I still have to grab the snacks and drinks before leaving the house to go somewhere that I have struggled to come up with. I then realise with horror that I have another 10 hours to go.

Would I be mad to have a 3rd one?

kimanaaaaaaaaaaan Mon 13-Jul-09 22:23:32

God I hate mornings with my 19 month old. I know I should cherish this time but its so much hard work.

I only want 10 mintues to myself to wake up slowly and relax with a coffee.

Instead I am bombarded with the same questions over and over again 'what is it? where is it? whos that?

DD is very clingy as well so whereever I sit she jumps on me with her latest favouite toy and doesnt give me a minutes peace. I find it very difficult first thing in the morning to be enthustatic.

Then there are the daily battles over teeth brushng, nappy changes and the wearing of suitable clothes which finally finish me off.

I leave the house a wreck.

I am a night owl and never struggled with night feeds or a nocturnal newborn. Its the 5/6am high speed, intensive starts I can't handle.

You are crazy for thinking about a third grin

BiscuitStuffer Mon 13-Jul-09 22:36:51

I am feeling pale at the thought of doing it all again tomorrow.

mrsruffallo Mon 13-Jul-09 22:54:44

It does get easier!
Take your time.Getting up at 5.30 gives you plenty of time. You can plan your days to suit the rhythm of your family.
Go to bed early for now, he'll get up later once the dark evenings arrive (something to look forward to)

Triggles Tue 14-Jul-09 08:11:33

I'm 37wks pregnant and having insomnia - can't seem to get to sleep prior to at least 11 at night. DS (2yo) is regularly awake at 4am!!! Needless to say, the days (especially the mornings) are sooooooo long!

And I can't even claim benefit of a couple cups of coffee right now, as the caffeine just upsets my stomach!

Gateau Tue 14-Jul-09 08:51:36

"Can't do it the night before as we have cats who would dangle they bums in all the bowls over night" grin
That made me snigger. We also have cats and I know what you mean. I don't like leaving food out anyway, partic in summer with all sorts of bugs flying about.
I'm not too bad in the mornings but too find it hard to get anything done around the house without sticking DS(2) in front of the telly. I feel shit about that, but, as I've said on other threads he just doesn't play much by himself and jobs DO need to be done.
I often make a pledge to get up at the crack of dawm before DS to get all my housework, but, surprise surprise, that idea always gets shelved. Maybe when no 2 comes along in Oct/Nov I'll have no choice!

AddictedtoCrunchies Tue 14-Jul-09 16:02:19

I am the same. I cannot even open my eyes at 5am. I tend to roll down the stairs and put CBeebies on blush. I just can't function. Glad I'm not alone.

Greatfun Tue 14-Jul-09 16:33:57

I hate the whole darn day let alone the morning. I live for the day they are both old enough to take themselves to the toilet, wipe their own bum and put their own clothes on.

I'd like to go to the loo or have a shower in peace for once.

Bumperslucious Tue 14-Jul-09 20:28:11

I feel the same and DD is not even an early waker. I work 3 days a week while DH looks after DD. If she is awake when I am getting ready I look after her so DH can sleep in (he does the same for me but it is only for 1 day - boooo!). If we are really lucky she will still be asleep at 8 when I leave. Not so yesterday, she was up at 7 and started immediately. She is just 2:

DD: Top dry [her nappies are very leaky at the moment]
Me: Yes top dry.
DD: Not wet. Trousers dry.
Me: Yes, trousers dry. No change bottom! Nappy, DD do it! Milk! Peppa Pig cup?

Moments later:

DD: Peppa pig cup
Me: Yes Peppa pig cup <yawn>
DD: Peppa pig blow bubbles. Milk. DD's milk.
Me: Yes, DD's milk.
DD: Not mummy milk, not daddy's milk. DD's milk.
DD:Where daddy?
Me: <whispers> daddy's asleep [we live in a small flat so easily woken!]
DD: <whispers> Daddy sleep. <Back to regular shouting tempo> Play? Mummy living room? Read Charlielola?
Me: Not now darling, mummy needs to get ready for work.
DD: Mummy go to work.
Me: Yes, mummy's going to work <turns up Radio 4>
DD: Mummy cereal.
Me: Yes mummy's cereal.
DD: Not daddy's cereal.
Me: Not daddy's cereal.
DD: Not DD's cereal
Me: <turns up the radio even more>
DD: More milk.

Minutes later, on the toilet:

DD: Mummy go toilet.
Me: Yes, mummy's going to toilet.
DD: DD go toilet. Take nappy off.
Me: For God's sake please don't take your nappy off <takes some toilet roll>
DD: DD need tissue, blow nose <pulls of andrex puppy size roll of tissue>
Me: <leaves bathroom opens bedroom door, puts DD on the bed> I'm having a shower. I just need 5 minutes peace to have a crap!

And then I go to work for a bit of peace and quiet grin

BiscuitStuffer Tue 14-Jul-09 21:19:38

I instigated a new rule today - we will not leave the house until Mummy has had a cup of coffee - just one and all of it.

Today felt noticeably better grin

spicemonster Tue 14-Jul-09 21:22:14

I have a tv in my bedroom on the floor for mornings. I have taught my toddler how to turn it on so I can doze for a bit blush

VFemme Wed 15-Jul-09 04:00:26

Oh bumper your post made me laugh so much. Ds is also just 2 and that could be us every morning!

I am also not a morning person and nor is DH, but ds is! We spend time in the evening getting everything ready for the morning so that we all just 'slot in' and don't need to engage brain until I'm at work. Oh and ABCkids (Aussie CBeebies equivalent) is a very necessary part of the morning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now