Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone suggest a book to help get ds into a routine?

(6 Posts)
girlylala0807 Sun 12-Jul-09 11:51:53

My Ds is 3 months old (where does time go?)

I want to start a routine, nothing to strict, no leaving him to cry. I also want to encourage him to sleep without being fed. I would also like to encourage him to nap without being pushed in his pram.

Anyone have any ideas?

laurz75 Sun 12-Jul-09 11:55:43

I took ideas from 'Baby Secrets' by Jo Tantum - it worked for us!

girlylala0807 Sun 12-Jul-09 11:56:32

Thank you,

will look into that.

Any more suggestions?

juicy12 Mon 13-Jul-09 17:24:42

I'll probably get completely slated for this, but here goes.... We used The Contented Little Baby on both DS and DD (now 5 and 2 and a half). There was no leaving either of them to cry, I just followed the guidelines in teh book. (we may have been lucky in that they didn't take long to slip into the routine). The end result was that they both napped for 2 hours a day in their cots/beds (DS only stopped his when he was just under 4!). They now both go to sleep by 7.30 and go through till 7/7.30. Anyway, I know GF isn't too popular on this website, and I don't want to get into any debates, but just to say that that method worked for us.

LauraN1 Mon 13-Jul-09 17:59:27

Trying to follow the "Babywhisperer" ruined the precious first months with my first child, so with my second I knew better.

Check out "The Science of Parenting" by Margot Sunderland to see what your baby is developmentally ready for at such a young age.

nannynz Mon 13-Jul-09 22:21:12

I use a combination of books I've read with my charges.

1) Always start the day at same time(from two weeks)

2) Have a clear bedtime routine and aim for baby to be awake at least two hours before bedtime aim.(From 3/4 weeks)

3) Feed baby at least four hourly during the day.(from birth)

4) Make sure baby stays awake no longer than two hours at a time. Let baby sleep for up to two hours at a time.(from about six weeks)

5) Night time feeds are always low key/low light/lots of cuddles.

6) Don't stress if the routine "aim" goes to pots, just rejig and start another day.

Most of my three months old end up on this routine:
7am awake and feeding
9-11am nap
11am feed
1-3pm nap
3pm feed
maybe another short nap for less than 30 mins before 5.30
6pm start of bedtime routine
6.30pm feed
7pm bed
10pm dreamfeed or not and most have being then sleeping through until 7am

Although my current nine week old charge is doing her own thing and we're all happy with that.

I know I'm not a Mum but I love "my babies" and always pop on here for a looksie, hope you don't mind me putting my two cents in;-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now