Talk

Advanced search

Very boisterous 5yo DS

(15 Posts)
lljkk Sat 11-Jul-09 09:23:56

Any parenting survival tips? Or anyone want to support a mutual support club??

The sort of child who shouts by default and can't stop shaking his body in eager anticipation when even slightly excited, not overtly aggressive but always quite physical and often gets carried away with it.

If I only go with 'tire him out' advice, he gets extra manic and boisterous from being too-tired, although I do try to keep his physical activity levels generally high.

He's summer-born, bright but quite emotionally immature for his age.

He's driving me nuts lately. I have 2 other DSs and they aren't anything like this!!

lljkk Sat 11-Jul-09 11:08:15

lljkk Sun 12-Jul-09 10:35:11

...._ _
..(o)(o)--.
....\../.(...)hjw
...m\/m--m'`--.

Spidermama Sun 12-Jul-09 10:37:12

I feel for you., My four year old is like this and soon to start in reception.

He's like a wild animal.

Spidermama Sun 12-Jul-09 10:41:42

Is there any activity which calms him? Stories for example.

At bedtime last night, while DS was clambering from top bunk to the top of the book shelves and then back again, having just watched spy kids, I told him he had to calm down within the count of 10 or he wouldn't get a story.

It sort of worked but you could see he was fizzing to get back up there.

I wonder if there's some sort of meditation or yoga for children to force them to chill out now and again. I'm in Brighton so I would have thought if there was such a thing anywhere it would be here. grin

Where are you based?

lljkk Sun 12-Jul-09 12:28:50

I'm in North Norfolk: Population mostly comprised of old folks, ex-Londoners still commuting 4 hours a day and those for whom NFN strictly applies (Normal for Norfolk).

I'm taking him swimming today, DD and DS1 are fleeing to friends' houses.

Nemoandthefishes Sun 12-Jul-09 12:41:04

sounds just like my DS. He is 5.6yrs old and full of energy. Also a bit cheeky at the min in answering back stage..joy!!He is very bright for his age but also picked up a lot of bad habits from some of his more 'hyper' friends. I try to tire him out but it doesnt seem to workhmm

joburg Mon 13-Jul-09 11:39:51

Sounds just like my 6 yo DD. She is on fish oil (will not stop her from jumping around but is supposed to help with her concentration problems) and then it's just me doing exercises with her when needed. Like, before she has to take the morning bus to school, i make her climb stairs; if we are having a guest, i make sure i do sit-ups and push-ups and running around the house with her, making sure she is tired enough by the time they come. In the end, if she is still too excited, i play classical music for her. That helps a lot, i mean A LOT and she seems to calm down, even her worst tantrums seemed to dissapear without me saying anhything. I also use a massaging little device that i ask her to rub her body with it. It works. It's fun for kids to play with and it helps them calm down.

lljkk Mon 13-Jul-09 12:23:51

3 hours we were at the swimming pool!!

ZippysMum Mon 13-Jul-09 16:29:31

Hi all,
No kids yet (expecting twins Sept) but we have 2 greyhounds - one very hyper. We tried lots of exercise to calm her down... it just built up her stamina! You have been warned.... grin

lljkk Mon 13-Jul-09 18:39:27

Thanks Zippy, good luck with the Twins .

KTNoo Mon 13-Jul-09 20:45:54

The classical music gives me mental images of Fluffy the dog from Harry Potter! Actually my hyper ds also calms down quite a bit to music.

You have my sympathy. It's the lack of control he seems to have over himself that is so wearing - even when he's been warned and warned and wants to comply he still can't seem to find the pause button.

Are the fish oils really supposed to work? I will try them if there's good evidence....

lljkk Tue 14-Jul-09 12:10:25

Ooh, fish oils a good idea. I gave fish oils to DS1 at this age and they seemed to help with his mood swings; he wasn't boisterous in the same way, mind.

DS2 also grinds his teeth in bed at night, VERY LOUDLY. He bounced about the pool, paying no attention to the teacher during swim lesson last week: it was observation week, with parents by the pool, and he was over-excited about it. This morning he tried to trash a toy because he had to wait (while I attended to DS3) to have more milk on his porridge

He's lovely some of the time, very loving, but such a handful!!

KTNoo Tue 14-Jul-09 16:35:02

He sounds really like my ds, also very affectionate but drives me so crazy at times. We also tried swimming lessons with him at 4 and it was a complete waste of time and money. He was often at the other end of the pool from all the others and the teacher. He's never been great at listening, especially in groups, and the added noise and excitement of the swimming pool made it virtually impossible. In the end he learned to float by himself just mucking about in the water, and now that he's 6 I'm going to try the lessons again.

ICANDOTHAT Tue 14-Jul-09 21:44:36

Oh what joy !! Fish oil def worth a try. EyeQ are great also 'Well Kids' supplements are brill for concentrating and calming down. Seriously look at his diet. You may think you do a good job of keeping an eye on what he eats, but even foods like bread and bacon have really awful preservatives in them that play havoc with kids' behavior. I'm an expert these days as my 6yo ds2 is dx ADHD and I know the meaning of boisterous, believe me smile Good luck !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now