Talk

Advanced search

Can a toddler nap for too long?

(8 Posts)
Naetha Fri 10-Jul-09 15:35:09

DS is 18 months and generally wakes up at 7am, goes down for a nap at about 11/11:30 and usually wakes around 2:30-3.

Is this too long? Should I make an effort to wake him from his nap rather than letting him come to of his own accord?

He sleeps fine at night, and never has a problem going to bed at 7:30, although often sings/chatters in his cot until falling asleep at 8ish.

Should I just make the most of it while I can?

rubyslippers Fri 10-Jul-09 15:36:05

don't complain!

night time sleep isn't affected so enjoy the peace whilst it lasts ...

Indith Fri 10-Jul-09 15:37:18

sounds great to me! Mine has always been a long nap fan, tis great while it lasts.

jarbelle Fri 10-Jul-09 15:52:35

My ds is a long napper too.

He also has no problems going to bed although will sometimes talk/sing to himself for a hour before sleeping. I think I read somewhere in bed is their quiet time where they practice their speech.

I'm just enjoying it while it lasts. I have no idea how I'm going to cope when the naps stop.

designerbaby Fri 10-Jul-09 20:24:51

I think I officially might hate you envy.
I get barely 45 minutes out of my 20 month old ALL DAY. It's barely enough time to have a quiet cup of tea.

Enjoy it, and feel smug.

Still I'm not complaining now that my DD reliably sleeps at night (finally)...

Really I'm not...

... well not much.

db
xx

shhhh Fri 10-Jul-09 20:39:46

don't worry about imo.
I have friends who's lo's barely nap and they are always a bit hmm with me and have been since I had dd and ds (2&4).

Both dd and ds would sleep 7pm-7am (dd would even sleep till 9am..at times!) and both would nap for 2 hours in afternoon.

Dd obviously doesn't nap now (does occasinally..) but ds still naps which I am not in a rush to stop,...hope it continues grin.

Enjoy the peace wink xx

scrummymum Sat 11-Jul-09 11:21:45

My DD (now 5) slept between 6.30pm - 7.30am and also slept 2.5 - 4 hrs per day until she was 3.5 yo. She started sleeping through the night when she was 8 weeks old and she still sleeps well through the night and rarely gets up in the night even for toilet breaks or if she is ill.

My DS is a good sleeper on the night (from 6.30 until nearly 8) and sleeps between 2 - 3.5 hrs for a nap. He is 18 months.

I get a lot of hmm from people I know too and sometimes get told from people who are a little envy imo, that it does them no good. DD is a bright and energetic 5 year old and although she sleeps well through the night, she can also cope if she has a late night.

Enjoy it. It may well last.

MaybeAfterBreakfast Sat 11-Jul-09 15:28:50

Enjoy it while you can!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now