Talk

Advanced search

Aargh - advice needed for planning family party in garden

(14 Posts)
GrendelsMum Sun 05-Jul-09 21:21:21

Not really parenting, but I didn't know where to put this.

I am a very keen gardener and have put a huge amount of time and effort into creating a beautiful garden. The garden's pretty big, but it's full of plants and narrow windy grass paths, if you know what I mean - great for a couple of little ones to run round in, or our older niece and nephew to lie around in playing on a DS.

But DH has happily volunteered our garden for his cycling club annual party (I said 'great', thinking it was going to be almost entirely adults), and it turns out that they are thinking of children's races, a bouncy castle, etc etc. I can't see how you can really hold races between my flower borders without the borders coming to a sad end.

I don't want to quash the party, so I'd rather suggest a whole load of kids' (and parents') games that are plant friendly. Can anyone think of anything? Just something that doesn't need too much room, really!

mumonthenet Sun 05-Jul-09 21:52:27

well, a bouncy castle might keep the kids relatively confined!

How old are the children?

What about a "treasure" hunt?

Divide them into teams...maybe even with an adult in each team. No competition between teams - in other words everyone wins: each team starts with a piece of paper with a drawing on it....might be garden shed, the swing, the hosepipe...they have to find that item where you will have hidden the next clue. And so on. You can make it last for hours by preparing loads of clues and hiding them well, but make sure they know they don't have to hurry. They only have to bring you back all the paper clues and they get the treasure - an ice cream - a lolly whatever!

Can you cordon off parts of the garden with red tape, or cheap wooden posts around vulnerable borders?

mrsgboring Sun 05-Jul-09 22:01:19

Duck hunt: Everyone stands in a circle (they prevent the game going in your flower beds). One person is the duck and one person is the hunter - they both wear blindfolds. Hunter has a rolled up newspaper or similar to use as a cosh. Hunters says "quack duck quack" and the duck has to quack, then the hunter can (usually) locate duck to hit him with newspaper.

Last round, it is traditional to choose the right candidate as "duck" and unblind the hunter. Very funny IMHO.

mrsgboring Sun 05-Jul-09 22:02:26

PS I only clicked on this thread because I misread whilst tired and thought it was a "family planning garden"

dilemma456 Sun 05-Jul-09 22:22:38

Message withdrawn

GrendelsMum Thu 09-Jul-09 16:19:05

Ooh, the duck hunt and treasure hunt sound rather fun - and I had the same idea about snail hunting this morning on my way ito work. I'd definitely give a prize for 'most snails without standing on a flower bed'! We've also had an idea for Cambridge boat race style 'bumps' with people on space hoppers lined up at equal distances apart (or perhaps handicapped?) to 'bump' one another.

Thans very much, everyone.

Now, I find my normal contraceptive measures just don't work in the garden - what can I do?

sweetcat Thu 09-Jul-09 16:22:22

lol, I also thought it said family planning garden grin

Sorry can't help, though I am jealous of your garden, it sounds lovely.

KashaSarrasin Thu 09-Jul-09 16:29:47

Not only did I read "family planning", I also read "dick hunt" and was going shock hmm before I realised my error. I need sleep! blush

Am also jealous of your lovely garden though grin

Seeline Thu 09-Jul-09 16:32:33

Competition to see who can fit the most things into a small matchbox?

UniS Thu 09-Jul-09 17:50:05

sorry I had read the tittle as a family planning garden party... not quite the same thing.
Seriously - Has DH or some of his friends got a turbo trainer or 3, set kids bikes up on turbo trainers and race with out moving an inch!

Water tray and pouring things, jumbo board games. Chalk drawing on paving stones/ patio.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Thu 09-Jul-09 17:50:52

I read this as family planning in the garden

grin

FabBakerGirlIsBack Thu 09-Jul-09 17:52:01

And now is blush as posted without reading and lots of others said the same!grin

BitOfFun Thu 09-Jul-09 18:10:52

Perhaps you could add bunches of balloons made from brightly-coloured condoms? grin

sweetcat Thu 09-Jul-09 19:29:44

grin BitOfFun

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now