Talk

Advanced search

How many of you have children that have different passports to you?

(41 Posts)
BiscuitStuffer Sat 04-Jul-09 22:15:24

DH is American and I'm not and I feel a bit wierd that my children have US passports and I don't. It makes me feel a bit nervous for some reason.

Please talk some sense in to me!

cory Sat 04-Jul-09 22:20:12

My children have Swedish passports and dh doesn't. He is calm. But then he trusts me.

Have you any reason not to trust your dh?

JFly Sat 04-Jul-09 22:23:13

My DS has a US and a British passport. It will be great for him as an adult with regards to working and living in either place. Why are you nervous?

expatinscotland Sat 04-Jul-09 22:31:23

I'm American and my children and I are both US/UK nationals, but DH is only a UK national.

It doesn't bother him.

When DD1 was born she was both US/UK but I didn't qualify for UK nationality at the time.

ShellingPeas Sat 04-Jul-09 22:56:43

Both my DCs have UK/NZ passports, I hold NZ only, DH holds UK only. I'm not concerned about this, neither is DH.

PacificDogwood Sat 04-Jul-09 23:02:42

Mine have British pass ports, but are also in my passport. It does not bother me that we have different nationalities but it does bother me that after 16 years I can still not vote in general elections here.

EldonAve Sat 04-Jul-09 23:05:24

Why are you nervous? Do you live in the US?

dilemma456 Sun 05-Jul-09 08:23:56

Message withdrawn

catski Sun 05-Jul-09 10:25:11

My son has a swedish and a british passport. I only have a british passport. We don't share the same surname (he has my husband's surname which I haven't taken yet). None of this bothers me, although when he was born it felt very important to me (for reasons that I struggle to explain)to register his birth with the british embassy and get him a british passport in addition to his swedish one.

BlameItOnTheBogey Sun 05-Jul-09 10:33:46

DS has an American passport and I don't. But then he also has a British one and DH doesn't....

hippipotamiHasLost43Lbs Sun 05-Jul-09 10:34:34

My children have British passports, as does dh. But I have a Dutch one. Am not worried smile

ilovemydogandmrobama Sun 05-Jul-09 10:39:14

DD and DS have US/UK passports.

I only have US citizenship with indefinite leave to remain. Probably should get British Citizenship.

littleducks Sun 05-Jul-09 10:56:41

To go against the tide my kids only have and will only have British passports, dh is entitled to a Pakistani pasport/ID card but hasnt yet had one made (but only just had his British passport renewed after it expired years ago)

My kids cousins have both really only to save money on visas even though they dont visit Pakistan much, I would rather pay for visas tbh but i do have very specific fears about the possibility of the kids not being returned if our marriage broke down

As Pakistan specifically isnt to great at cooperating in these circumstances i didnt want to risk it

I prob should be more trusting but I know dh would hate to be seperated from his kids....

EldonAve Sun 05-Jul-09 21:35:56

where did the OP go?

BiscuitStuffer Sun 05-Jul-09 22:08:10

Hello I'm here, sorry for popping back so late and thank you for all your replies!

I think I must be neurotic . DH has given me no reason to be nervous but I think my subconcious is telling me that it's unatural to facilitate potential separation from my kids should things go 'wrong'. I guess similar to littlesuck concerns.

I accept that there is absoutely nothing I can do about it, or indeed, shoud do about it but it still feels a bit unnerving.

BiscuitStuffer Sun 05-Jul-09 22:09:18

I'm UK and we live in the UK. DH has British citizenship.

EldonAve Sun 05-Jul-09 22:44:20

So your kids also have British citizenship?

Acinonyx Sun 05-Jul-09 22:44:32

Similar here. I'm UK, but dh is US dual with UK as is dd. So I am the only one with just one passport. I have never thought about dh taking dd to the US but I do sometimes feel sad that she might very well go there to live.

cory Mon 06-Jul-09 07:34:56

For me, it cuts both ways. If things should go wrong it would be equally unnatural to facilitate separation from father iyswim.

expatinscotland Mon 06-Jul-09 09:12:51

'So I am the only one with just one passport. I have never thought about dh taking dd to the US but I do sometimes feel sad that she might very well go there to live.'

My children will likely have a better quality of life there. They, too, are dual nationals, as I am.

I'm pretty well-resigned to their going to live there.

geekgirl Mon 06-Jul-09 09:23:07

my children have British and German passports, I have a German apssport, dh a British one. Doesn't cause me any worries, although when the children and I travel with different passports, passport control always takes longer as they seem to make more checks.

sarah293 Mon 06-Jul-09 09:27:04

Message withdrawn

expatinscotland Mon 06-Jul-09 09:28:09

We have a consulate in Edinburgh that does US passports, so it's not too bad.

They can also be renewed by post.

NorkyButNice Mon 06-Jul-09 09:28:42

DS has US and UK as he was born in New York. DH and I both have UK only.

I hope he doesn't move there to live permanently when he's older (as we'd miss him!), but it's great for him if he wants to study or work out there.

There may be jealousy from any future siblings who are born here in the slightly less glamorous Greenwich though grin

oftenpurple Mon 06-Jul-09 09:32:17

Yep, my children and DH have a different nationality to me (as well as being British) - I trust my DH 100% as he does me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now