Talk

Advanced search

If you have one, what's in your DC's garden playhouse / hut?

(9 Posts)
ilikeyoursleeves Sat 04-Jul-09 22:03:28

We inherited a lovely wooden play house in the garden, quite small and I can't stand up in it but could sit down easily. I just cleaned it out (urgh 2 years worth of spiders!) and DS is showing an interest in it now (he is 20 months). Just wondering what we should get for it now? eg, table and chairs etc?

What's in yours?

ilikeyoursleeves Sat 04-Jul-09 22:06:00

Oh and also, would plastic or wooden stuff be better given it's outdoors and could get messy / mouldy....

fatsatsuma Sat 04-Jul-09 22:14:37

We have a little wooden table with two chairs from IKEA, a tiny cooker, plastic eating and cooking utensils, some toy food, dolls buggy - plus lots of random grot!

Ours doesn't seem to get too mouldy or dirty really, but it doesn't get used much in the winter either.

MamaMuesli Sat 04-Jul-09 22:14:47

for a long time I had a small plastic cooker from argos with tea sets etc, loads of fun (I was often served mud pies)and a couple of small chairs. And a dolls cot. I have just moved that out and instead put in a trunk which can double as a table, and filled it with paper, pens pads etc (have two girls who are into drawing and writing letters). Also they like playing schools now. it has always had a blackboard and chalks on the wall, and now also I have put up a pinboard for them to display their artworks and some abc charts stuck on the wall. I used an old oilcloth/plastic tablecloth as 'lino' for the floor (WIPEABLE) my playhouse is always full of dust/mud/stones/spiders/biscuit crumbs. Also a play dustpan and brush/broom to encourage cleaning play! And I sometimes keep a pack of wipes in there in case I go in for a tea party and it is too gross.

ilikeyoursleeves Sat 04-Jul-09 22:18:45

Oh that's a fab idea to use a plastic tablecloth for the floor, I was going to buy lino floor tiles (!) as it's just bare wood just now. Off to look on ebay for a cheeeepo one

norksinmywaistband Sat 04-Jul-09 22:20:30

ours is a storage shed for bikes scooters etc - on nice days those are out in the garden and the dc fill the playhouse with all sorts - today it had a towel as a picnic rug various pots from the kitchen and teddies, other days its an icecream van, a hospital, a shop.
I think leaving it empty sparks their imaginations more and it doesn't get boring

gigglewitch Sat 04-Jul-09 22:21:45

rug on the floor, huge plastic toy kitchen thing (from charity shop lol) and a workbench for dd. she can never get to the kitchen bit because the boys monopolise it.
Also some ELC chairs and a little plastic table (a bargain in Wilkinsons)
oh, and a box with old tat toys that they have to keep hmm

zebramummy Sun 05-Jul-09 20:09:16

mirror on the wall and wodden multisided activity cube on the floor (which remains unused unfortunately!)

ilikeyoursleeves Tue 07-Jul-09 21:27:41

I bought a plastic shower curtain from Ikea today for the floor and a table and chair set for only £13! Yippeeeeee, we will have our lunch in there tomorrow Thanks all for the posts x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now