Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

HHHHEEEELLLLPPPP !!!!!!!!!! TERRIBLE PARENT ALERT

(27 Posts)
frankie26 Mon 16-May-05 20:44:30

Honestly i am useless - locked my 10mths DS in car with car keys, please tell me i am not the only one - husband rescued him 10 mins later when he turned up with other key.

Donbean Mon 16-May-05 21:05:16

Completely bloody useless and whats more im going to report you to social services, the church elders and the Queen then im going to insist on you serving at least 100 bloody years in jail and im going to request that the poor little blighter comes to live with me. (only your ds cos hes got juicy thighs, not your dd cos she beats my boy up).

Donbean Mon 16-May-05 21:08:33

Get off the bloody phone im trying to ring you and pretend to be social services and sort out a time for Wednesday........

kid Mon 16-May-05 21:12:22

LOL, I have never done that (yet) but once I did get the buggy out, lock the door and just as I started to walk off realised that DS was still in the car

Katemum Mon 16-May-05 21:18:39

I havn't done this yet but probably only because two of my friends have and they have made me a bit paranoid about checking keys are in my hand.

Nimme Mon 16-May-05 21:20:10

No haven't tried that yet but tipped 5 month old baby out of buggy onto pavement

GeorginaA Mon 16-May-05 21:21:17

No, but I have locked all four of us out of the house by forgetting to remove the spare key from the inside (prevents a key from the outside getting in the lock).

What was more embarrassing was that it cost £50 for the locksmith and it took him more time getting out of his car and getting to our front door (about 3 paces) than it did to unlock the door... sigh.

kid Mon 16-May-05 21:23:25

when we got locked out of our house, it cost us £350! It was at 2am though.

Fimbo Mon 16-May-05 21:25:24

Haven't done that. Do know someone who "forgot" that their new born baby was asleep upstairs and went out with her dh to get a Chinese take-away. She rushed home, panic stricken to find the baby still asleep blissfully unaware.

Newbarnsleygirl Mon 16-May-05 21:27:09

A friend of mine did that, I think her ds was about the same age. She ended up smashing the window to get him out.

fuzzywuzzy Mon 16-May-05 21:27:50

Georgina I did that too. We were all off to see my friends new baby, so entire family; dd1, dd2 who was a few weeks old at the time, dp and I left the hous., Dp was saying something, so I pulled the front door shut and asked him to repeat what he'd said. He replied, 'My keys in the front door', luckily there was a wire coat hanger lying on the floor outside my house (purely by chance). So I managed to put my hand through the letterbox with the hanger and open the door that way........ I think I could be really good at grand larceny if I decided on a career change...

Donbean Mon 16-May-05 21:29:19

I have:
1) washed noonoo at the front of the washing machine so ds could see it through the glass
2) eaten his last lovingly sucked smartie which had fallen to the ground..... Out of his mouth. Covered in carpet debris.
3)knocked him over when turning around quickly....with my huge gargantuos hip.(on numerous occasions)
im going to stop there because social services are at the door.......

GeorginaA Mon 16-May-05 21:31:52

fuzzywuzzy - and isn't it scary how EASY a door can be opened?!

frankie26 Mon 16-May-05 21:47:08

well locking child in the car is top of the list out of three - locked us all out of the house at bottle time and yes wire coat hanger came in handy from neighbour - and locked keys in car while out shopping luckily no child in the car this time

frankie26 Mon 16-May-05 21:48:41

thanx donbean social services should be called felt like handing myself over to be honest

LooneyLaura Mon 16-May-05 21:49:04

I did leave the keys in the car while I was hoovering it one day and as usual DD pressed the button. I shut one door to open another the the car was locked. Bloody good job I found spare only the day before whilst raking in the miscellanous draw, otherwise I would have had to break in or something.

stitch Mon 16-May-05 22:14:08

yep, did that with 17 month old buckled into his car seat. had to call the aa.
did it again about ten months later.
locked myself out of house twice. cost fifty quid each time.

swedishmum Mon 16-May-05 23:18:42

Yesterday was pushing buggy round foreign shopping centre when I realised baby was missing. Of course dh had her, but I have no recollection of how or why.

giraffeski Mon 16-May-05 23:25:02

Message withdrawn

elastamum Tue 17-May-05 00:07:48

My DH did this at the park once when the boys were both toddlers. Had to drive over and rescue them. At least it wasnt the other way round

Aero Tue 17-May-05 00:09:11

Haven't read thread, but i've done it too - twice!! Have had to call police both times to help!

elsmommy Tue 17-May-05 07:05:20

When dd was a few weeks old I'd taken her out for a walk. Put the car seat off the top of the big pushchair in the house (dd was in it). Went back out to put the pushchair down and without thinking slammed the door behind me to stop the siren from a police car waking her up
Had to phone the firemen who came very quickly with a big ladder and somehow climed through a tiny upstairs window

hub2dee Tue 17-May-05 09:03:22

It can be quite a good idea to hide a spare key in a very secret spot on the car. There are magnetic holders for things like this and you can also use a bit of wire. I don't do it myself, but my dad does and it's come in useful !

(I appreciate the concern re: car theft, but IMHO if they want to nick your car, a key ain't gonna stop 'em...)

tiddlypom Tue 17-May-05 09:19:55

When ds was two, he closed the front door on me, with the keys in the house. I spent ages talking to him through the letterbox, asking him to find Mummy's keys and bring them to me. He didn't, just went into the lounge, put on a Thomas the Tank Engine video, and proceeded to watch it, while I gurned at him through the lounge window. Had I left a spare set of keys with a neighbour? No. Had I hidden a spare key somewhere in the garden? No. Had I already, on two previous occasions, broken back door windows to get in without keys, then had them replaced with unbreakable glass? Yes.

Eventually I abandoned Ds to Thomas the Tank Engine, rang dh from next door's phone, and waited while dh's keys were biked over to me - right across London - occasionally peering through the window to make sure that ds was still watching a video, not drinking bleach or playing with knives.

I still have no idea whether ds simply didn't understand what I meant about bringing me the keys, or whether he just fancied being master of the house for a while. I now have a spare key strategy.

Rhubarb Tue 17-May-05 10:04:52

This is good! Are we all in the bad parenting league then? Someone will come on here sooner or later and start telling us how deplorable we all are!

My sins are pretty bad, so here goes:
Riding front seat of car with 6 month old as my brother had forgotten the baby seat. Then hiding her in the footwell when he shouted POLICE as a joke!

Locking her in the car (common theme!)

Losing her in the supermarket when dh and me both thought the other had her. She was asleep in the trolley in the cheese section!

Dh rocked ds a little too hard in the Moses basket one night and tipped him out!

Trying to smuggle dd in the pub in her car seat covered with a blanket so we could have a pint!

Trapping dd's and recently ds's fingers in the door.

Going for a walk on hols whilst dd and ds slept in the caravan, took baby alarm, had a lovely long walk and a drink in the bar and then discovered when we got back that the alarms were set on different bands, so we wouldn't have heard a thing!

(All of the above are very dangerous and should only be attempted by very reckless and irresponsible parents)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: