Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone have any experience of the Young Carers Trust?

(11 Posts)
TrinityRhino Thu 02-Jul-09 10:02:34

my camhs lady has suggested that dd1 (9) may benefit from being part of this

I always thought it was only for young people who actually care for their parent/gaurdian but she assures me that it isn't only for that but also for young people who are affected by living with a parent/gaurdian/person with long term illness

Does anyone know anything about it?

TrinityRhino Thu 02-Jul-09 10:04:17

flumpity bump

TrinityRhino Thu 02-Jul-09 10:09:39

anyone?

TrinityRhino Thu 02-Jul-09 10:11:07

<wanders past thread>

cory Thu 02-Jul-09 10:11:19

social worker suggested this for ds, at the time when we only knew his sister was disabled, so that would have been on the strenght of his being a carer so to speak for his older sister; I think they do do that sort of thing

however, we never heard back from them and I believe they get very busy

but it's worth a try

TrinityRhino Thu 02-Jul-09 10:17:56

thank cory
I will tell her we are interested then smile

lal123 Thu 02-Jul-09 10:26:18

I do some work with a local Young Carers project - I think the young people get a lot out of it - some time for themselves, opportunities to do new stuff, make new friends etc etc. I would say that it would definitely be worth checking out

TrinityRhino Thu 02-Jul-09 10:32:10

I think it sounds fab but I guess what I'm worried about is that doesn't fit the criteria and shouldn't be taking up a sopace

she would love it but I dont want to go for something we shouldn't be getting iyswim

I had severe depression when she was born
I have since worked out through counselling and mental health support that I have had trouble depression, panic attack/anxiety since childhood

I am still suffering now 9 years on but moving on and getting some great support after years of not really telling anyone how bad I was

The lady says that this level and length of depression in her mum could be affecting her and she could do with some support herself

TrinityRhino Thu 02-Jul-09 10:34:48

<wibble>

MildredRoper Thu 02-Jul-09 10:42:56

Good to hear that you're doing so well. (As an aside, I thought you were great apologising the way you did on that other thread.)

I used to work for a Young Carer's project and plenty of the children were there because parents had mental health problems. She doesn't have to be helping you get dressed in the morning or anything like that iyswim. It was great, actually, a most of the young people seemed to get a lot out of it. I loved working there.

I know they are busy now and had to tighten up their criteria a bit since I left, but you should definitely ask to get her referred. Good luck with the recovery!

lal123 Thu 02-Jul-09 10:43:23

Of course she should go! If she doesn't fit the criteria then she won't be taken on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now