Talk

Advanced search

excluded from nursery for 3 days for vomiting! what's your nursery/ schools exclusion period?

(16 Posts)
sillysillysally Wed 01-Jul-09 22:05:47

DS threw up at nursery on Monday. he hasn't been sick since and was fine a few hours later. Seems extreme exclusion period to me. What's your experience? Anyone know what the official guidance is? I'm trying to find NHS guidance but to no avail.

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Wed 01-Jul-09 22:06:53

This is OTT, it's normally 24 hours after, 48 if you work in a food/pub.

JoeJoe1977 Wed 01-Jul-09 22:09:47

48 hours after last episode of D or V

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 01-Jul-09 22:10:21

Wonder if theres an odd bug going round that they know about?

misdee Wed 01-Jul-09 22:11:23

24-48 hours.

i keep mine off for 48hours after vomiting.

feedthegoat Wed 01-Jul-09 22:11:24

It's 48 hours after last symptoms at pre school ds goes to.

CMOTdibbler Wed 01-Jul-09 22:12:45

At DS's nursery its 24 hours after last episode of d or v, 48 hours if they have d and v

IkeaHighchair Wed 01-Jul-09 22:13:30

48hrs is standard (which can end up being 3 days depending on the time of the last vomit/diahrroea). 24hrs is less common.

skydelay Wed 01-Jul-09 22:13:30

My son was sick on Monday Morning during milk time, we got a call to pick him up at 9.20, we were told it was 48 hours and asked to return on Thursday.
By the way he has a dairy allergy, he probably drank the wrong carton as on thursday the nursery asked us if we wanted him sat seperately hmm.

footballsgalore Wed 01-Jul-09 22:15:33

The general rule does seem to be moving towards 48hrs these days, but I think this is a bit extreme for a one-off case of sickness with no other illness before or after and no diahorrea. My DS was bouncing on the trampoline an hour after being sick then ate a full dinner, but was supposed to stay off 48 hrs. Kids just throw up sometimes for no apparent reason!!! Not necessarily a bug.

AnyFucker Wed 01-Jul-09 22:15:57

48 hrs which would equate to Mon-Weds so not unreasonable

BoysAreLikeDogs Wed 01-Jul-09 22:18:39

48 hours and there are moved afoot to go to 72, IIRC

IkeaHighchair Wed 01-Jul-09 22:19:55

(swimming pools are 5 days BTW)

cookielove Wed 01-Jul-09 22:23:38

As a nursery worker, we have a strict policy of 48 hours, return after their last bout of d or v both have the same exclusion, we have parents sign a form to say that they agree the earlist that they can come back is x date, this helps stop confusion. The reason that it's 48 hours is the bug needs to clear the system, and your right sometimes children just throw up but nurseries really can't take the risk that it isn't a bug, they have to think of all the children.

However if your nursery knows that your child has a dairy allergy he def should not have drunk from the wrong carton and i would speak to them about that, all dietry requirements, should be treated seriously, and children should be supervised at meal times to prevent these things happening.

If a child is coughing and then is sick, we often leave it to see if they are sick again, if they gag on a bit of food and then are sick, we also tend to let it go, but if randomly during the day for no reason a child is sick, they are sent home, whether they have had diahorra (spelling?)or not.

sillysillysally Wed 01-Jul-09 22:24:40

48 hours seems to be the consensus. I blame swine flu!

cookielove Wed 01-Jul-09 22:38:51

well if your nursery got a confirmed case of swine flu it would prob close for a week!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now