Talk

Advanced search

need advice on a good parenting book, PLEASE (sorry long)

(6 Posts)
leothelioness Mon 29-Jun-09 15:05:48

I have 2 boys ages nearly 3 and 5 and recently they seem ignore anything I say. DS2 throws everything he can get his hands on and generally does dangerous stuff like jumping onto glass coffee tables etc etc.

DS1 has started screaming and shouting and slamming door evertime he cannot get his own way.

I feel like a crap parent because as much as I try to keep my cool they end up winding me up and I shout at them. They also bicker and fight constantly. I am aware that this is probably partly because of the the fact that we have just moved abroad so they are in a strange place, donot speak the language and don't have any friends yet but this began even before the move.

My DH is traveling a lot at the moment. Due to circumstances my MIL is living with us too. I am up to my eyeballs in stuff and they just seem to either be doing stuff that styey shouldn't or fighting. PLEASE HELP I want to see if we can start again with a new approach as what ever I am doing does not seem to be working.

PortAndLemon Mon 29-Jun-09 15:10:53

I highly recommend Parenting the Strong-Willed Child: The Clinically Proven Five-Week Program for Parents of Two- to Six-Year-Olds.

How To Talk So Kids Will Listen And Listen So Kids Will Talk is good too but I found the Strong-Willed Child book very good at addressing some basic issues with what I was doing wrong and How To Talk perhaps better in the longer-term as an underlying philosophy and approach.

leothelioness Mon 29-Jun-09 15:13:50

Thanks for that port an lemon will take a look at them. I am just at my wits end and I don't really have too much suport here and dont know anyone so can't even go out with a girlies for a couple of hours just to give myself some breathing space.

Overmydeadbody Mon 29-Jun-09 15:19:06

I would recommend how to talk so children listen and listen so children talk.

I hope that helps.

leothelioness Mon 29-Jun-09 19:49:04

thanks over my dead body I need all the help I can get today my little ones managed to smash a remote and try to climb out of the balcony. I am going to the uk next week so will pick up the books there.

Any other advice also welcome

NanaJo Mon 29-Jun-09 19:55:32

I would also recommend 'Siblings without Rivalry' by Adele Faber.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now