Talk

Advanced search

Sling my DH would use...

(12 Posts)
Powdoc Sun 28-Jun-09 09:08:30

Hi guys, hoping for some help here. I am looking for a sling to use in the summer.

I would like one which allows DD to be carried facing outwards (when she's old enough) as she's already a curious thing at 10 weeks. I would also like something with ties/buckles/clips rather than a pure stretchy wrap like a Kari-me or whatever - because my DH doesn't feel up to one of those.

Any suggestions? Not madly keen on a Baby Bjorn but the other carriers I have seen don't seem to allow facing out.

Powdoc Sun 28-Jun-09 17:11:41

Anyone?

foxytocin Sun 28-Jun-09 17:18:21

no others facing out because facing out puts baby's hips and spine in a strenuous position.

when baies are a bit older than yours they learn to push outwards from your chest and tummy with their hands and knees and feet so that they can look around.

the do effectively what they want them to do when doing 'tummy time' as they use the same muscles.

Powdoc Sun 28-Jun-09 17:57:52

Oh, I never knew that. Does that mean that other manufacturers would disagree with BabyBjorn saying that outwards facing is ok, or is their carrier different in some way?

janek Sun 28-Jun-09 18:07:18

we have an ergo. it is brilliant. i still use it for dd1 who is 3.2 and can use it for dd2 who is 8mths. you can carry on your front (inward facing though), on your back (like an easy piggyback with no danger of dropping anyone...) or swap the straps over and carry on your side, although i've only done this once, i'm not too keen on the wonky weight distribution. also, since we bought ours they have changed the design slightly and made it EVEN BETTER. but we already have one, so cannot benefit.

also, they seem to sell on e-bay for a similar price to what we paid for ours. don't know if that will still be the case when we come to sell (potentially in 3 years...).

foxytocin Sun 28-Jun-09 18:13:26

it doesn't matter what other manufacturers think. there is independent evidence which shows that BB carriers are not good for baby's spine, pelvis and crotch.

ergos are good but expensive. patapums are cheaper and just as good. some people get on better patapums than with ergos.

connecta is another buckle carrier like the above 2 which come in prettier fabrics that are also reversible so you can have one side and dh can have the other.

Meitais like babyhawks, frontbackandsides, etc. are also reversible but some men may not like the straps.

look at naturalmamas which has an active forsale or trade forum and you may get one there at a reasonable pre-loved price.

lots of babywearing mothers there who are never bored with questions about carriers.

FaintlyMacabre Sun 28-Jun-09 18:18:29

My DH loves our Babyhawk (well, so do I). We have an Ergo as well but he prefers the BH. It is really easy to use and I can carry our 19 month old comfortably.

commanderchaos Sun 28-Jun-09 19:47:48

I can't recommend the ergo highly enough. we had one for our DS (3.10), and still use it for him, then bought another for our DD (1 yr). Both of us use it for both of them, and the slings pack up quite small so are easy to take about. DH just as much as a fan as me, and though they are pricey (latest, improved version goes for about 90 quid), cost per wear, it's the best buy we've made since having the children. They are FAB.

CMOTdibbler Sun 28-Jun-09 19:52:12

DH loves our mei tais, and disliked the Ergo.

DS is (and always has been) very curious, but happy to do that inwards facing so they can control the amount they see. When it's all too much, they just snuggle their face in - watch babies outward facing in BBs in busy places and they are very obviously overwhelmed by it. You chat much more with them facing in, and then when they are on your back arms extend to point out interesting things

Powdoc Wed 01-Jul-09 14:58:14

That's all really interesting guys.

Foxy- that's really interesting about the spine. I wasn't trying to suggest that it was just other manufacturers who had a view on BB. I was just trying to understand whether it was a general problem with a front carrier or whether there was something special in the BB design that made a front carry ok. Sounds like there's not and thanks for clarifying.

CMOT - good point about being overwhelmed.

Now I just have to work out whether to go for an Ergo or a Connecta. Any idea why Ergo's are so much more expensive? Seems a big difference in price.

CurryMaid Wed 01-Jul-09 15:00:30

Foxy my lovely, that's really interesting about tummy time.

I'm having a terrible time encouraging my 10mo DD to be on her tummy. Would a sling be worth it or is she too old?

foxytocin Wed 01-Jul-09 17:34:32

a baby is never too old for a sling. smile who are you currymaid? do i know you under another username?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now