Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook

Find out more

Steriliser just packed up,so thinking of buying an avent one, will tommee tippee bottles fit in it?

(25 Posts)
monkeyfacegrace Sat 27-Jun-09 17:53:04

As above guys, my steriliser has just stopped working (last thing in a long long list as to why Ive had the week from hell!). Have no money, so the only one on Ebay finishing today near me is an avent electric one, but I use tommee tippee bottles. Will they fit?
And, we are going abroad on hol soon, what the hell am I meant to do about sterilising abroad, and can I take a bottle of formula on a plane?
Thanks!

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sat 27-Jun-09 17:54:05

They should fit as the Avent steriliser's are big.

slng Sat 27-Jun-09 18:11:46

We only ever just put bottles in a big pot and boiled them ... Didn't think you need a special steriliser ...

sweetfall Sat 27-Jun-09 18:17:41

You don't need to sterilise at all. They don't in neo-natal units nor do they in US

Just hot soapy water wash and rinse well

monkeyfacegrace Sat 27-Jun-09 18:28:05

Really? My HV said it was essential, and my dd already had gastroenteritis (sp). They defo sterilised in SCBU when my son was in there.

puffling Sat 27-Jun-09 18:36:28

We always put our Tommee Tippees in an Avent steriliser, just cos we got it free from sister. The bottles don't slot in neatly, but they do fit in.

PerfectPrefect Sat 27-Jun-09 18:38:14

In neonatal they autoclave the bottles....which is true sterile isntead of the pretend sterile you get with a home steriliser.

How old is he? You can stop sterilising at 6m as long as (IMO) you don't store milk in them.

puffling Sat 27-Jun-09 18:39:10

When abroad, buy Milton sterilising tablets and put them in a large pan of cold water, that's if you're self catering. If not, ask hotel or comapny you're travelling with, what the arrangements might be. You're allowed 100ml bottles. I presume that applies to formula.

llareggub Sat 27-Jun-09 18:39:43

If you really want a sterisliser just stick some milton in a cold water steriliser.

MatNanPlus Sat 27-Jun-09 18:44:50

You can buy sterilising bags for holidays, i reuse the bags until they die have got 6 weeks out of one bag.

Just take additional milton tablets, milton solution doesn't need to be rinsed of bottles etc whereas most other sterilising solutions need to be rinsed off before use.

If baby is 6m+ - or moving along the floor then sterilising is really not neccessary IMO.

puffling Sat 27-Jun-09 18:44:54

My last sentence referred to the flight.

MatNanPlus Sat 27-Jun-09 18:46:54

If you take formula in ready to feed cartons for the plane journeys then they may well ask you to open and taste 1 of the cartons, just tip the carton into a ready clean bottle.

Don't forget to pack in your hold baggage cartons for the return journey.

jellybeans Sat 27-Jun-09 18:49:17

tesco do a fab travel microwave steriliser for £4 fits TT bottles.

monkeyfacegrace Sat 27-Jun-09 19:08:10

jellybeans thats great info, thanks. Spoke to my HV and she said sterilise till 12 months. He is weaned though, and I dont clean/sterilise his bowls etc. Im torn between thinking sod it, he is getting germs from everywhere, as long as we clean it well he's fine, and the fact that for the sake of a few quid is it worth the risk?

FiveGoMadInDorset Sat 27-Jun-09 19:09:35

I wouldn't bother, just wash in hot soapy water or bung in the dishwasher.

BitOfFun Sat 27-Jun-09 19:16:05

The health vistor is a loon then. Totally unnecessary if you observe basic hygiene.

sunshiney Sat 27-Jun-09 19:18:20

i think it's just the teats that really need sterilising, because you can't get your cloth or whatever onto all surfaces like you can with the bottle itself. i think it's milk collecting in the hole on the teat that's the problem.
so bit of milton in a jug for the teats only could be enough?

slng Sat 27-Jun-09 19:18:35

Unsterilised bottles have bacteria. It won't hurt anybody to eat one or two bacteria, but if you use the bottles to store nutrient-rich stuff like milk then the bacteria will multiply and may produce toxin which may be harmful. At least that's what I understand. So if you want to store milk, I would sterilise. Otherwise I won't bother.

monkeyfacegrace Sat 27-Jun-09 19:24:09

I never store milk in them, I sterilise, then add boiling water, leave to cool, then store in fridge. Then when I need it, I microwave to heat, then add milk powder.

MommyHasaHeadache Sat 27-Jun-09 19:32:20

We gave up sterilising when DD was about 7 months and have never looked back.

Tee2072 Sat 27-Jun-09 20:07:06

I would highly discourage anyone to buy anything from Advent.

Why? Because the US Banned BPA's and Advent took it out of their bottles made in the US. And shipped all of their BPA bottles to the UK where there is no law against it.

I am encouraging everyone to boycott them. To not buy their bottles or sterilizers or anything else. And I never boycott anything.

Facts about BPA. As much as I hate using Wiki as a source, this is a pretty comprehensive article about BPA. And the possible harm it can do your baby.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sat 27-Jun-09 20:29:43

Who is Advent?

Tee2072 Sat 27-Jun-09 20:35:07

Sorry, FBG. Avent. 2 week old baby. Very very tired mummy!

ilovemydogandmrobama Sat 27-Jun-09 20:44:57

Avent, do BPA Free bottles. Most manufacturers do BPA Freesmile

theoptimist Sat 27-Jun-09 20:47:01

Hi. Yes I use an avent steriliser (got it free from someone) for Tommee Tippee bottles. They don't fit as well as Avent bottles, but you can still use it.

About the use of avent bottles - I used them for my other two- too late!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now