Talk

Advanced search

what is the best way to cope with manic behaviour in a 4 yr old?

(4 Posts)
Pennies Wed 24-Jun-09 16:45:27

DD1 (4.9) is often at the end of the afternoon totally manic. I put this down to tiredness. I try to make her afternoons aren't too busy and when we're home I don't have anything too crazy happening.

The thing is she sometimes just goes really nuts and I can't seem to reach her. this afternoon I left her and DD2 (3.6) colouring in the playroom whist I dealt with some washing. It seemed calm but I heard a few excited squeaks and giggles and popped in and made noises about them calming down. Went and finished doing laundry.

When I came back (about 10 mins later - was outside hanging up a load of washing) she had totally trashed the playroom and there were pens and pencils everywhere. DD2 had followed suit. In fact, if I'm honest DD2 can be just as bad but DD1 usually starts the show.

I tried to make her tidy up and help me clean the mess up but she said no. I offered bribes (sweets followed by game and story) to no avail and then threats (anything that you don't pick up with go in the bin). Again, this just didn't go in. So, I carried out the threat and binned all the crap on the floor that they'd just chucked out of drawers. So we no longer possess some Barbies that looked like they were on crack, some similarly dishevelled My Little Ponies, a few puzzles, a kids Dyson hoover thingie. I bundled them all up into bags and we made a trip to the chatrity shop and the dump. Lectures about if they can't look after toys then we'll give them to children who can seem to have no effect (manic giggling) and the fact that they must now live without a collection of crackhead Barbies also doesn't seem to bother them. All I got from them was crazy giggling and non-stop excited talk about poo-poo and wee-wee, which I ignored.

We're just back from this trip and DD1 is in the playroom with instructions to tidy it and DD2 is in her bedroom (she's meant to be poorly but seems in very high spirits considering). I needed to separate them without seeming to favour one or the other IRWIM.

How do I get them to see that this behaviour isn't ever going to win them favours.

What is the best way to deal with it?

I'm utterly at a loss with it.

Pennies Wed 24-Jun-09 19:39:05

Any help gratefully received. We're all feeling a little low and worn out by it all here.

junkcollector Wed 24-Jun-09 23:17:30

For your own sanity I would either put them outside for the afternoon before a quiet calm down time just before bed, or just put up with the mess. They're kids..that's what they do.

TBH expecting them to stay quietly colouring in the PLAYroom is asking a bit much. It sounds boring.

junkcollector Wed 24-Jun-09 23:19:05

Mind you on saying that I have 2 boys....Never in my wildest dreams would they stay colouring for more than about 20 seconds.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now