Talk

Advanced search

I am feeling like a really bad mother at the moment, can someone just reassure me that this is acceptable?

(13 Posts)
alicecrail Wed 24-Jun-09 12:58:02

I am feeling a little bit down at the moment. My own fault, i was feeling really well, so stopped taking my iron supplement (i had run out, so didn't go for more as i felt i didn't need it). I was ok for about 10 days and thought that my iron levels were high enough now. But by day 14 i feel very weak and tired. I have got a lot on at the moment with the house being done, and with feeling like this i am tending to leave DD to her own devices a bit, and cbeebies is on a lot. We are eating a lot of pasta because i am struggling to spend a lot of time cooking.

It wouldn't normally be too much of an issue, as i know it was only temporary and DD is very easy going, however she has suddenly got very clingy and is not eating as much as usual or sleeping quite as well and i'm starting to get paranoid that it's because she feels like i am neglecting her.

I know i sound really neurotic and perhaps slightly unhinged, but i am just feeling very tired and sorry for myself blush

insertwittynicknameHERE Wed 24-Jun-09 13:11:55

We are going through a similar time at the minute, I am almost 37 weeks pg and we are surviving off pasta and DD is not getting so much attention off me atm as I am just exhausted.

You need to start taking your iron supplements again. I am willing to bet that your DD is going though a phase (mine is having a very bad day today blush)

Pasta based meals and ceebeebies isn't going to hurt, my DD is currently sat watching ceebeebies while I try to have 5 minutes but if she stays quiet she can watch it till DH gets home blush

{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}
Hope you feel better soon.

misshardbroom Wed 24-Jun-09 13:39:29

I think it's great that you are able to look objectively at your situation, for example knowing that probably being iron deficient has a big bearing on how you feel.

How old is your DD? I bet she doesn't feel neglected, I bet it's just that this particular phase has coincided with you being at a low point yourself. You might not be able to do a lot of stimulating and educational things with her at the moment, but providing she's getting lots of cuddles and reassurance, I doubt she'll come to any harm.

You sound like you could do with a bit of TLC yourself. I know it's hard when major work is being done on your house (I was 38wks pg with a 1 y.o and no gable end wall to my house grin) but have your pasta on the sofa and then try to have a relaxing bath and an early night, especially if DD is waking you up in the night.

(did you get your bedroom sorted out wink)

Take care, and fwiw, it doesn't sound like you're neglecting your little girl.

alicecrail Wed 24-Jun-09 14:02:14

Thank you so much smile

DD is 19mo so is just getting to the age where she gets frustrated easily about the smallest things which results in a tantrum.

I did get my bedroom sorted which makes me feel better, but the fact that the rest of my house is a tip just gets me down, especially when i don't have any spare energy left at the end of the day to do anything about it. Just a vicious circle really

Insertwitty sorry to hear you are having a rough time at the moment too. How old is your DD?

insertwittynicknameHERE Wed 24-Jun-09 14:05:24

alice, I had to lol when I saw your DD is also 19mo, just like mine.
It is hard when they get frustrated at the smallest thing, DD is doing that too, even DH is struggling with her when she gets like that.

I think it is their age, but it doesn't help us does it.

Lets hope that they are both just going through a phase.

alicecrail Wed 24-Jun-09 14:11:19

Hmmm, I can't help thinking that the terrible two's are starting early!

insertwittynicknameHERE Wed 24-Jun-09 14:44:10

<<<<fingers in ears emoticon>>>>
la la la la la la

grin

alicecrail Wed 24-Jun-09 14:49:25

grin

I now have to get off my lazy-feeling-sorry-for-myself-arse and do something, as just realised i'm having shelves put up tomorrow and i haven't painted the bloody wall yet!

Just having an enormous glass of coke and hoping the sugar rush will kick in soon grin

TrillianAstra Wed 24-Jun-09 16:07:43

You silly thing, get some supplements. Pasta is great and yummy and a perfectly acceptable meal but isn't going to help your iron.

alicecrail Wed 24-Jun-09 16:53:38

blush i stocked up with spatone today, so hopefully within a day or two i will feel vaguely human again grin

TrillianAstra Wed 24-Jun-09 18:37:23

That's good. LEsson to everyone: medicine is good. If you are supposed to take in then take it!

alicecrail Wed 24-Jun-09 21:21:11

Sorry, i won't forget again blush grin

TrillianAstra Wed 24-Jun-09 22:38:38

Yes, you must all do as I say! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now