Talk

Advanced search

I feel like a crap mother today!!!! I have just lost it!!!!! [sad]

(12 Posts)
insertwittynicknameHERE Wed 24-Jun-09 12:54:11

DD (19mo)is usually such an easy child (I think we have been spoilt lol) but today she has been rather challenging to say the least.

She has been whinny, screeching, screaming etc, all for no apparent reason. It is not through tiredness as she started as soon as she got up. I don't think it is hunger she has eaten like a trooper so far today.

But dear god DD will not stop screeching at me, I have taken my hearing aids out so that I cant hear her as well (Can still hear a bit)

I cant seem to do anything for her to make her stop and I have just lost it sad blush I have just screamed at her to shut up sad I feel like a terrible mum. She cried, I cried she is now sat watching TV for a bit and is actually quiet.

sad

VinegarTits Wed 24-Jun-09 12:58:28

Your not a terrible mother, she is just having an off day, we all have them dont we? If you think the screams are for attention then distract her with some toys, if distraction doesnt work then ignore her, she might just be testing the boundries, you are not terrible for screaming at her, make yourself a nice cup of tea and stop giving yourself a hard time smile

Ledodgy Wed 24-Jun-09 12:59:46

Stick her in the pram and take her for a walk. The fresh air and change of scene will do you both good.

insertwittynicknameHERE Wed 24-Jun-09 13:02:14

Thanks VT, I have coffee and cake and DD is still quietly engrossed in ceebeebies blush but TBH if it keeps her quiet until DH gets home then she can stay there all day!!!!

I have tried distraction but she just doesn't seem to be able to stop herself. DD is a lot like me and can get quite wound up (not easily) but once gets like that she will be like it for the rest of the day sad

The neighbors must think I am awful to her, all I have done today is tell her no, stop it and now my latest outburst.

myredcardigan Wed 24-Jun-09 13:04:16

I agree with VT. You're not a terrible mother, she's just having a bad day. It could be the heat as they find it difficult at that age to articulate when they're too hot and thirsty. Make sure she drinks lots.

It could also just be her age. DD1 just turned into a monster around 18mths. DD2 looks like she's going the same way.

Television and lots of fluids sounds like a goods short term plan. That goes for you too! smile

insertwittynicknameHERE Wed 24-Jun-09 13:05:20

Ledodgy, I am waiting for a package (bloody parcelforce, said it would be here before 2pm, I best they are here dead on 2!!) but as soon as it gets here I am taking her out. Might walk to meet DH from work actually, he would like that.

used2bthin Wed 24-Jun-09 13:08:26

I do this, everyone loses it now and then we are only human. I agree with everyone else about just doing what is easiest to keep you both happy. My DD is very whiney when its hot. She loves water play and I have to keep getting her out to do it (no garden) at the moment otherwise she just pours water on the floor then I get cross then she whines or does it again,etc etc etc!

insertwittynicknameHERE Wed 24-Jun-09 13:15:29

Myredcardigan, I really do hope it is the heat I am due number 2 in a little over 3 weeks and I think I am still in denial about it all TBH. I worry about DD feeling left out and then I go and shout at her.

used2bethin, My DD loves the water as well, I have bought her a new paddling pool as the other one burst but I cant find my pump, so have ordered a new one off ebay and am counting the days down for it to get here!!

used2bthin Wed 24-Jun-09 13:21:47

h good if she is like my DD that will keep her entertained for ages and you can sit and put your feet up. You are heavily pregnant, really really don't worry about losing your temper a little bit today it is understandable and your DD has no doubt forgotten about it already!

Niecie Wed 24-Jun-09 13:34:23

Oh goodness - pregnant and hot - I remember it well. More reassurance from me too - I would think most of us have done it at some point. You have reminded me of when I lost it with DS1 - was the hottest recorded day since records began, I was 8.5mths pregant and he spent all day doing the opposite of what I asked him to do, whinging and generally being a pain.

In the end I lost it, I picked him up and shut him in his bedroom for a bit. Don't know where I got the strength from.

Thing is, I often found (mine are older now) that that you can spend all day placating them when they are in this sort of mood, you handle the whinging and the bad behaviour and are all reasonable. In the end though, sometimes the only thing that puts a stop to it is if you let them know you are as unhappy as they are. You can both have a little cry and very often, peace is restored when it is all over.

Do whatever gets the least resistence. Let her watch telly, put your feet up too, go for your walk later and start again tomorrow.

Good luck with the new baby.smile

makingdotoo Wed 24-Jun-09 13:36:56

watch she isnt getting ill, my two get like that sometimes before a cold starts. You arent a bad mum you are an apprehensive mum to be with a whingy toddler. Much cbeebies and cups of tea are needed.

insertwittynicknameHERE Wed 24-Jun-09 13:59:01

Thanks everyone I feel better now.

I think it must be the heat, DD has just fallen asleep on the sofa watching the tv, so I've put her to bed and she is fast out bless.

Hoping she is in a better mood when she wakes up, I know I will be smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now