Talk

Advanced search

For parents of children who worry...

(10 Posts)
Boco Wed 24-Jun-09 12:30:48

Someone on mn recommended this book for my dd1, who is a real worrier, gets very anxious about all sorts of things and it all takes over sometimes. She's 7, and lately I pick her up from school each day in tears because she gets convinced that something awful will have happened to me during the day, or I've forgotten her, died, been kidnapped etc etc.

What to do when you worry too much

I just want to say thanks to whoever had suggested it, and pass on the recommendation because it's really good. Dd has been going through it and it's so clear and easy to understand, she's completely gobsmacked that someone KNOWS how she's feeling.

She came in to me and explained how her worries were like tomatoes and she'd been growing them, but she was going to stop feeding them and thinking about them and instead only think about them in 'worry time' and could I spend 15 minutes each day talking to her about them and she'd try not to think about them all the time the rest of the day.

She went on to tell me, all glassy eyed, that her worry was like a bully and it was being mean and ugly and lying to make her scared but now she was going to tell it to go away and get lost!

I was really lost for words! Going to work through the rest of the book with her, but just wanted to pass it on in case there are other worriers out there who might relate to it too.

SuperBunny Wed 24-Jun-09 18:48:51

Oh Boco, how lovely. Your DD sounds wonderful.

DS is a worrier but still quite small. I will remember this book in case we need it when he is bigger. At what age would it be suitable?

Boco Wed 24-Jun-09 19:01:55

Aw thanks for hauling me out of the unanswered pile Bunny. grin

I'd say anyone from about 5 could grasp this book - each chapter has a page to draw something , like, if your worry was a nasty ugly monster, what would it look like' Probably suitable up to about 12 or so.

SuperBunny Wed 24-Jun-09 19:05:49

grin

I'm wondering if there is a book called 'What to do when you worry too much about your child worrying too much'

Boco Wed 24-Jun-09 19:10:04

Oh God I'd buy that! Especially if there were pages to draw things and you get to have a whole 15 minutes where someone has to LISTEN to you worrying about your child worrying too much!

seb1 Wed 24-Jun-09 19:10:55

Might have been me I bought it for DD last year and she found it great, I know I recommended it on here but can't remember who too. Glad it helped.

FrannyandZooey Wed 24-Jun-09 19:18:19

oh i don;'t know if i recommended it boco but we have the same book
i did not give it to ds1 yet as a couple of the things in there were slightly too mature for him, but i have been through most of the ideas in it with him in my own words
the suggestions are really useful aren't they?

Boco Wed 24-Jun-09 19:36:34

I'm not sure who it was but thanks. Yes it's got some good ideas, and really easy to read.

dd2 just said in her very matter of fact way 'dd1, take it to school with you, and if you think mummy is dead you can read it!' DD1 said 'can we all stop talking about it now, I'm trying to STARVE my worries actually'.

Metella Wed 24-Jun-09 19:50:33

Do you think it would be any good for an older child Boco?

Boco Wed 24-Jun-09 19:57:05

Not sure - how old?

A much older child might find it a bit patronising, as it's aimed at probably primary age, but it covers all the basic principles of CBT so I think it could still be useful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now