Talk

Advanced search

Daft question about babies and weddings

(12 Posts)
artifarti Wed 24-Jun-09 07:56:36

I know we are probably over-thinking this but bear with me!

DS is 10 months old and we are all going to a wedding in another city next month. The hotel we are staying in is across the road. I'm just wondering what the best thing to do with DS is in the evening as the reception is at 7.30 but he is normally fast asleep by 7.

He's never been the sleepiest baby and so I'm not convinced that he would sleep in a corner in his pushchair - or will he? The alternative is that DP and I take it in turns to be in the hotel, I guess.

What do you do when you go to something like this with a baby in tow?!

hana Wed 24-Jun-09 08:02:20

or just keep him at the reception until he conks out and then you can put him in buggy. would be shame to keep going back and forth to hotel

Peabody Wed 24-Jun-09 08:02:21

I used to put the baby in a sling.

TheOldestCat Wed 24-Jun-09 08:03:29

Hallo

We took DD to a wedding when she was 10 months goping she'd nod off in her pushchair, but she refused to go to sleep since she'd miss so much fun! She stayed awake and relatively ungrumpy until 10, when we left (then was sparkers the second we got her in the car). She was a major attraction at the wedding - the bridesmaids were taking turns holding her while they danced and she loved it.

So I think just see how it goes with DS? We changed DD into a babygrow in the evening and were prepared to make a swift exit if necessary.

Have a lovely time.

BlueberryPancake Wed 24-Jun-09 08:51:41

Would it be possible to ask the hotel if they can recommend a babysitter? We did that, and really enjoyed the wedding as opposed to being worried all night or on our own.

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 24-Jun-09 17:50:39

agree ask hotel if they can reconmend a babysitter

my local hotels have a list of those they have used before (im on some of them smile)

what area are you in?

there is a list of babysitters on the childcare/cm/nanny section so you may be able to find someone in your area

yes you can take buggy and try to get ds to sleep in it but you both might enjoy it more if you dont have to worry about your baby getting tired/grumpy etc

artifarti Wed 24-Jun-09 19:48:22

We are staying in a grotty Travelodge type affair so IME they will be next to useless. I will have a think about that though, thanks.

He is way too big and wriggly for a sling - I gave up on them months ago unfortunately.

TheOldestCat - that's good to know that your DD was okay. He usually stays awake and happy much longer if there's interesting things going on. And I guess it will be a busy and unusual day with the ceremony etc. so his naps will probably be all over the shop.

Thanks everyone!

designerbaby Wed 24-Jun-09 22:31:30

Take DS. Let him enjoy the party. When he gets tired put him in a babygro and put him in his buggy/pram. He may or may not sleep - either way he'll pass out soon enough once you get bcak to your room as he'll be knackered. The nextday may be a bit all-over thr place, but by Monday he'll be back on track, I reckon. You might even get a lie-in the next day.

If he's mobile he'll enjoy the dance-floor. If he's not he'll enjoy watching drunk people enjoing the dance-floor.

We've just been to our fifth wedding this year with DD... Can you tell? grin Upside - last weekend's juant, DD didn't go to sleep until 10pm (Celidh just TOO much fun). But slept in until 9.30!! Whoop whoop for hungover tired parents...

db
xx

Bakersman Wed 24-Jun-09 22:34:24

What about signing up with on eof those babysitting services like sitters.co.uk? Then you can book a CRB checked babysitter for the night. Not too sure how much they cost though.....

MrsBadger Wed 24-Jun-09 22:36:14

take him

but be prepared for to make a swift exit with him if it all gets too much

and make a deal beforehand about which of you will stay and party...

artifarti Thu 25-Jun-09 07:08:28

designerbaby - 9.30am! Oh wow. I can hope. We've been getting up pre-5.30 here for the last three months so even 7 would be a luxurious lie-in...

magnummum Thu 25-Jun-09 09:40:54

I'd share baby sitting at hotel with DP as evening receptions pretty hectic - plus you can relax without having to keep an eye on Ds the whole time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now