Talk

Advanced search

more Swimming questions

(4 Posts)
calypsoblue Mon 22-Jun-09 23:50:37

At what age was your child able to jump in the pool and swim unsupported to the side of the pool?Any useful tips for teaching a 1 year old to swim i.e how to make them close their mouths underwater. Ds loves the water but I live in Spain and have no access to swimming classes.

Northumberlandlass Tue 23-Jun-09 07:47:44

Hey Calypsoblue,
At 1 yr old, I would suggest just having fun in the water. At this age my DS (now 5) went to a 'water babies' class and it was all play based. Getting them confident in the water and enjoying themselves.
DS had to structured swimming lessons from around 3.5 and is now a pretty good swimmer. Once your DS gets more confident (and older) I would get a woggle (long piece of foam, DS prefered these to arm bands (more fun and you can hit mummy with them).
I wouldn't worry about it too much, the best you can aim for at this stage is confidence!
xx

Astrophe Tue 23-Jun-09 08:07:12

I think blowing bubbles will help her learn not to breath water in. As for the turning to the edge and swimming back - they teach this as a 'first skill' at my DC's class, but they are 3 and 5. I guess get her to jump in to you, then physically turn her around and point/propell her to the edge. Show her how to grip the edge of the pool. Say "turn" or "edge" or something every time she jumps in...hopefully she will learn to do it alone if you do it enough.

There are some programs in the US that teach babies (under 1s!) to turn themselves over and float if they fall in a pool, or to turn to the edge and grab it. I've seen a 9 month old dropped (literally, by the foot) turn herself around under water and then float on her back for several minutes - quite amazing. But I can't remember the name of the program sorry.

calypsoblue Tue 23-Jun-09 11:16:44

Thanks for the replies seems like we are heading in the right direction,we have a pool and now hes starting to toddle it is a worry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now