Talk

Advanced search

Can DS have 2 Grandmas?

(17 Posts)
MrsJamin Mon 22-Jun-09 17:48:35

18 MO DS is just really starting to get into language and up til now, both Grandmas are "Grandma". However I think he's getting a bit confused having one name for both! Trouble is convincing either one to change their name to something different, as Grandma is their preferred choice. What other names do people call Grandma? Not sure either of them would go for Nan/Nanny.

therealpf Mon 22-Jun-09 17:49:28

We have Grandma Axxxx and Grandma Lxxxx. They both like it as keeps their identity as well as being Grandma. Problem solved.

therealpf Mon 22-Jun-09 17:50:03

And what is wrong with Gran or Granny otherwise?

elliepac Mon 22-Jun-09 17:50:51

We have a Grandma and a Grandma J**. Works perfectly and they both get to be called Grandma.

Jas Mon 22-Jun-09 17:51:27

WE have two grandads, one is grandad, and one is grandad-firstname.

My two grandmas were grandma-in-hometown

EyePeam Mon 22-Jun-09 17:52:08

ds has this with two Grandpas, it's definitely confusing but there have been no takers by the GPs when I've casually mentioned the possibility of change.

FWIW both sets of my grandparents were called the same, and we seemed to understand who was being talked about.

Ds has Granny and Grandma, works perfectly as one hates the idea of being called Grandma (thinks it sounds old) and the other hates the idea of being called Granny (thinks it sounds old grin)

MatNanPlus Mon 22-Jun-09 17:52:15

a family i worked for had grandma mum / grandpa mum and grandma dad / grandpa dad
made life easier on everyone.

4andnotout Mon 22-Jun-09 17:54:09

My dd's have 5 sets of grandparent's as i have both my sets of grandparents.

They are either Nanny dogsname
or Nanny placename it wasn't intentional it was just what the dd's seem to associated them with.

LilianGish Mon 22-Jun-09 17:55:06

I had two Grandmas and never had a problem - the Grandma D and Grandma M (if I needed to distinguish). Mine now have a Granny and a Nanna (which I hate - but MIL insisted).

LilRedWG Mon 22-Jun-09 17:57:14

DD had two "Granny"s. We used to diferentiate by saying either 'Granny and Grandad' or Granny and Poppa'. She coped fine.

amidaiwish Mon 22-Jun-09 17:57:26

we have 2 grandmas
they started calling MIL grandma "made up name" then started calling my mum "grandma the other one"
i had to quickly NIP THAT IN THE BUD!

so yes you can have 2 grandmas but they will need to have a second bit you might want to think about to differentiate.

Smithagain Mon 22-Jun-09 18:16:20

We have two Grandads. Neither wanted to be anything else.

They are "Grandad with the hat" and "Grandad without the hat". As a result of my dad having a really dodgy sunhat that he wears on the golf course.

Oddly enough, the DDs have more trouble remembering which Grandmother is which, despite the fact that they do have different names!

GrimmaTheNome Mon 22-Jun-09 18:20:47

We did the Granny-in-<placename> thing.

MrsJamin Mon 22-Jun-09 18:25:44

I think we might have to settle with Grandma-by-the-sea and Grandma-by-the-hills. However at the moment this might be quite a mouthful for a kid who even shortens Bus to Buh.

roisin Mon 22-Jun-09 18:42:36

When I was little we had two grandmas. We called them "fat grandma" and "little grandma".

So when we had children my parents immediately asked what the ils wanted to be called, then they were called something different.
We have Granny and Grandma
and Grandad and Grandpa.

pointydog Mon 22-Jun-09 18:58:39

Just have Grandma Jean and Grandma Liz. Or whatever.

fucksticks Mon 22-Jun-09 19:14:41

It'll be fine. He'll get the hang of 2 grandmas.
My DS's have (hang on let me count them) 7 Nanny's shock
My mum, my step mum, MIL, plus 4 great nanny's!
They are all Nanny Jan, Nanny Vera etc if we need to differentiate but mostly they are all just called Nanny

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now