Talk

Advanced search

Embarrassing Questions

(5 Posts)
Anngeree Mon 22-Jun-09 09:49:14

When Ds was 5 he was sitting in his room before getting ready & casually asked "Mummy what are these lumps that feel like balls?"

I thought if he's old enough to ask he's old enough to get an answer so I explained what they were & told him when he was older they'd help him make babies!

The answer seemed to satisfy him. Just wondering how other MN's have dealt with blush questions??

taffy101 Mon 22-Jun-09 19:57:07

Like you I am honest in a simplified way. DD (5)asks things like will I get long hair on my bottom like you when I am big? I said yes! Will I have big boobs with milk in when I'm a grown up? Yes if you have a baby.
However, I chickened out when she saw some blood down the toilet and told her I'd cut my leg!

francesrivis Mon 22-Jun-09 20:28:37

When I was pregnant with dd2 dd1 (aged 2 and a half) asked how the baby was going to come out. I told her and her reaction was to burst out laughing - she clearly thought I was having her on!

therealpf Mon 22-Jun-09 20:46:45

I read ds1 5 and dd 3 Babette Cole's book Mummy Laid an Egg when I was pregnant with ds2. They found it hilarious and it answered most of their questions. I was stumped yesterday when dd asked what her clitoris was and why it tickled though grin (see other thread)

CarmenSanDiego Tue 23-Jun-09 07:08:54

Babette Cole is great. I also bought 'It's so amazing!' by Robbie Harris for my 8 year old and kept checking i with her while she was reading it. It's a really, really good book. It even has a page that deals very tastefully with sexual abuse and how to deal with it. I know there's a book called 'It's not the stork!' in the same series for younger children but I haven't looked at that one.

I agree with Taffy that I just try and answer questions in a simple way that my LOs can understand. It's hard to do the 'right' answers though on the spur of the moment. I do like using books and talking about the books though! Things are sometimes easier to explain with good, cartoony pictures to illustrate!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now