Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Sunscreen for babies???

(7 Posts)
TurtleAnn Sun 21-Jun-09 19:43:20

Which sun screen for babies?
DS is 2-months old and as much as I try to keep him out of the sun sometimes it doesn't always work in the buggy or the Bjorn. DS also has a trauma every time we try to pop a sunhat on him.

DH and I are very fair skinned and only use 'Sun Sense' factor 50+. We would burn even on a not very sunny day if out for a long time.

I looked up Sun Sense online and found 'Toddler Milk', but it doesn't seem suitable for 2-month olds, (given the name toddler...). I asked my HV who suggested olive oil, the idea of putting cooking oil on my babies skin, or mine for that matter, to protect it from the sun! seems stupid.

Any suggestions for delicate baby skin (who already has excema, generously donated by DH's genes).

rubyslippers Sun 21-Jun-09 19:44:43

no suncream at this age

covered up at all times though and out of the sun between 12 and 3 where possible

i used a muslin draped over DS's buggy (he was a June baby)

your HV sounds a leetle odd ..

Seona1973 Sun 21-Jun-09 19:48:32

johnsons do a baby suncream and I am sure Nivea do too - they do!

I am sure I have seen them in Tesco and there are probably other ones too.

Seona1973 Sun 21-Jun-09 19:50:49

Boots does one as well

TurtleAnn Sun 21-Jun-09 19:52:07

Thanks that's excellent.

Don't get me started on my HV, well wierd. She told me never to use Johnsons Baby Oil because it was full of petrol and that DS would get so overweight he wouldn't be able to lift his arms and legs if I kept feeding him (Cow & Gate disagreed when I contacted them).
I am thinking of asking to change clinics so I don't have to see the HV's at this particular clinic as their advice is generally a little odd and I always have to ask someone else; pharmacist, Mumsnet, GP, friends from NCT.

Pyrocanthus Sun 21-Jun-09 21:55:40

Baby + sun + olive oil surely = tiny roast?

That's truly scary. I think changing clinics might be an excellent idea.

Can you fix a parasol to the buggy or carry one when he's in the Bjorn? Even with the suncream he's clearly going to need as much protection from the sun as possible.

bababelle Mon 22-Jun-09 12:39:06

agree suncream not a great idea at this age at all

have you seen the shade-a-babe pushchair covers?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now