Talk

Advanced search

When did you stop saving your DC's clothes? Or have you never kept anything?

(22 Posts)
PlantASeedWatchItGrow Fri 19-Jun-09 14:54:45

I'm running out of space! DD is 2, and I have kept so many of her clothes. I can't even remember the things I've kept from her as a baby, blush but recently I have only kept nice clothes that could be worn again (not vests, p.j's, knickers, socks etc..)
I probably shouldn't keep anything any more, but I have difficulty parting with things! <sentimental emotion>

When did you stop?

ilovetochat Fri 19-Jun-09 14:56:36

dd is 1.11, i have kept her shoes in boxes, her snuggle blanket and her christening dress as keepsakes.
i have kept evry item of clothing that wasnt torn or stained incase we have another girl and will kepp it all till we have another baby or decide not to.

PlantASeedWatchItGrow Fri 19-Jun-09 15:28:03

Ahh, so I'm normal then grin

ilovetochat Fri 19-Jun-09 15:42:48

if we had another dc and it was a boy i would give away everything except a couple of outfits in the first size.

TabithaTwitchet Fri 19-Jun-09 15:52:48

Well Dd is only 18 months, but I have kept everything - for the next baby. But to be honest after the next baby I will prbably continue to keep all the "nice" stuff at least. Actually will probably keep everything, knowing me.

(I remember being furious with my mum aged about 11 when she gave away a huge stash of clothes my younger brother had just grown out of - I protested loudly that I wanted my children to wear them one day blush)

HappyMummyOfOne Fri 19-Jun-09 15:59:20

I kept special things in his memory box, first little shoes, hospital outfit, christmas outfit etc.

The rest went on ebay or to charity, we had decided on just the one so no need to keep them. Wouldnt have kept them probably even if more planned as I'm not keen on handmedowns.

ilovetochat Fri 19-Jun-09 17:51:02

oh i'd love to see another dd wear dds clothes as they have lovely memories.

PlantASeedWatchItGrow Fri 19-Jun-09 17:53:35

The thing is, I don't even know if I would use everything for any other DC that I might have. I just can't bear giving them away!

I have given some bits to charity, but I just look at things and think 'oh, she looked so cute in that' so I have to keep them.

I can't imagine what my loft might look like if I did have another blush

BakewellTarts Fri 19-Jun-09 17:56:48

Currently going through all the baby clothes that DD2 has grown out of. A very few will be kept rest will be sold, freecycled or put in a clothes bank for recycling. Cannot imagine keeping everything as would run out of room...

ILTC it is lovely being able to use the clothes DD1 had again.

TsarChasm Fri 19-Jun-09 17:58:42

I used to be the same, but after 3 dc I was seriously drowing in clothes. I always am come to think of it.

I'm always mid massive 'sort-out' of some descriotion nowadays. I've kepts a very few first bits and bobs - babygrows, hats and shoes, but tbh the speed they grow it's impossible to keep it turned around let alone keep it for it's own sake.

I'm a sucker for parting with toys though. Worse than the children I think, but again I have to make myself or we become over-run.

EldonAve Fri 19-Jun-09 17:59:25

I have kept some stuff as hoping to have a third
Stuff has also been handed down to others
I will not keep any of it once I'm done though

cat64 Fri 19-Jun-09 18:14:20

Message withdrawn

alarkaspree Fri 19-Jun-09 18:33:49

I must be very unsentimental, I have kept nothing at all, apart from the dress that dd wore to be a flower girl at my sister's wedding - and I would happily give that away as well if I knew someone who needed it for a special occasion. I kept all dd's clothes until ds was born though, in case we had another girl.

I would far rather give stuff away to friends, that way you know it's still being useful.

PlantASeedWatchItGrow Fri 19-Jun-09 19:55:32

I am going to be terrible when she goes to school, I think I would have to keep everything. I've even kept some clothes that were given to us, but were so nice I can't face getting rid!

Tsar I am the same with toys too blush
But I think toys are different, as I definitely would use them again, which is why I have kept them. I couldn't buy it all again, that would be a small fortune!

Oh Dear, I think I need to stop soon.
I think the problem I have is that I don't know anyone with a younger DD than me, if I did, I would probably pass on much more. I do take bags to charity! The problem is probably that she has too many clothes in the first place!wink

TurtleAnn Fri 19-Jun-09 19:59:49

We got everything from relatives and we are giving everything to my sister. I love the idea that DS's cousins wore and will wear and share all the clothes and toys, and add their own small collection to them aswell as the pile of seconds grows and grows.

I will keep 1-2 small items, like first shoes, favourite toy but the rest will continue in the family chain.

LilianGish Fri 19-Jun-09 20:06:44

Kept all dd's stuff until ds was born (two years later) then gave it away. Gave away ds's stuff almost as soon as he had finished with it as didn't intend to have anymore children. Each child has a memory box for particularly sentimental items (ie first outfit, toys and various other bits and pieces). I have photos of them wearing the clothes and that's enough for me! I'm also the same with their artwork - it goes on the wall, on the fridge or is dispatched to grannys and godparents, especially brilliant items go in the box or on permanent display otherwise it goes out when new stuff comes in. I just can't get too sentimental over things - otherwise it would be like living in a second-hand shop, especially as they get older. I actually get a lot of pleasure in passing things on (and also in throwing things out if they are not so pristine!) and I've really liked things which people have passed on to me - I'm much more inclined to let dd wear expensive items to the playground if they are hand-me-downs than if I've forked out for them.

Cicatrice Fri 19-Jun-09 20:13:16

I've thrown/given it all away except his very smallest baby gro and his first pair of shoes.

I'm not having another and I need the space!

A lot of what DS has worn has been passed to us so I like to feel I'm passing it on!

troutpout Fri 19-Jun-09 20:23:27

I have kept first pair of shoes and the babygrow they came out of hospital in

Everything else goes as soon as they grow out of it. Ds's goes to a friends boy. Dd's goes on ebay. I bundle up a seasons worth and get rid of it twice a year.

Firawla Sat 20-Jun-09 11:09:53

I have kept everything, but it's soo much even though Ds is only just coming up to 1yr. I think I better go through and sort them out, give stuff to charity and keep only the very nice ones. We don't really have space. I see your point its hard to get rid of them because it feels sad blush

MrsSeanBean Sat 20-Jun-09 11:25:27

I've kept everything too. blush Luckily I have a large loft. It may 'come in handy' for next dc...

nappyaddict Tue 23-Jun-09 10:50:36

I have kept a lot and DS is 3 tomorrow. I've just got rid of the stuff other people bought him and I never really liked.

BirdyBedtime Tue 23-Jun-09 20:53:35

Like HappyMummy I have kept special things like first shoes and outfits that hold particularly good memories. I had kept everything in case of another girl, but now that I've had a boy anything half decent has gone on e-bay (good on those who do the charity thing by the way!) with some very nice bits given to friends.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now