Talk

Advanced search

Nits! Sure it's been done before but I've just found some in my daughter's hair. What's best plan of attack?

(7 Posts)
cookiemonstress Thu 18-Jun-09 19:12:44

Any suggestions, tips.. what's best product to buy etc. Please help. I can't stop itching myself now!

mrsdisorganised Thu 18-Jun-09 19:15:41

Nitty gritty comb is very good. As for getting rid of them....I'm constantly combing with conditioner after every hair wash (bit extreme but I have 4 girls with long hair!). There is a lady on MN who keeps telling of a fantastic product (haven't got round to ordering it yet!) will have a look to see if I can find it. Good luck.

LupusinaLlamasuit Thu 18-Jun-09 19:16:05

Well you can use the stuff that melts the wax on their bodies and is supposed to not develop resistance. Hedrin do a version of it (but they're a brand with lots of different types so make sure you get the most recent product)

But really a Nitty Gritty comb and lots of conditioner done as a preventative is the best long term strategy

clayre Thu 18-Jun-09 19:17:00

personally i liked 'full marks' comes with a good comb, not so keen on the nitty gritty comb, mention it to your daughters school/nursery tomorrow

must go check dd's hair ......

NorthernLurker Thu 18-Jun-09 19:17:32

You need a nitty gritty comb and a lot of conditioner - tea tree il for preference. Comb and comb and comb, tomorrow do the same and then again in a couple of days for around two weeks.

You can use the chemicals to try and kill the beasts but you still need to comb and last time we had them it was on poor dd3 - aged only 2. There was no way I was covering her in pesticides so went with this method and I was very pleased at how effective it was. Takes a bit of time - but worth it.

clam Thu 18-Jun-09 19:24:29

Slather her hair in conditioner, then settle down in front of the TV with her on the floor in front of you, a nit comb, something to put the detritus (!) in, and get busy.

Then repeat tomorrow, and the next day.....

cookiemonstress Thu 18-Jun-09 19:36:33

THanks for quick responses. Am off to asda as soon as DH in to see if can purchase nitty gritty comb.

It's horrifically bad timing as we are just about to go and visit my pregnant friend in spain, we have no hot water currently and dd1 who has nits is not supposed to get her ears too wet because of ear problems!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now