Talk

Advanced search

Adult daughters of mothers who have left

(14 Posts)
kokomo Thu 18-Jun-09 11:46:05

Hi all

I'm currently in the process of writing a dissertation on women who are mums and have experienced their own mother leaving and how that experience has impacted on their mothering of their own children. Hope this makes sense.

The dissertation is for an MA in Psychotherapy and there is very little information out there from the perspective of the child who has been left. I am one of those adult children and I'm looking for others to interview. We appear to be a rather overlooked group regarding research and it feels like this is an ideal (and for me, very exciting)opportunity to be part of a potentially pioneering piece of therapeutic research.

I am the only woman I know at this time in this situation and would dearly like to make contact with others. Please contact me if you feel you are part of this particular sisterhood. We need a voice!

RealityIsMyOnlyDelusion Thu 18-Jun-09 11:46:56

Message withdrawn

kokomo Thu 18-Jun-09 12:07:57

That wasn't me and I have been in contact with the member who has completed her dissertation. She was writing from a different subject and perspective.

PaulaAtMummyKnowsBest Fri 19-Jun-09 23:55:23

ask away

I am 34, have 3 children and my mum left when i was 3.

My dad remarried. His new wife was the original "wicked step mother" and I had an awful time as a child.

Sibella1 Sat 20-Jun-09 00:03:04

My mother (an alcoholic) left me for my grandmother to bring up when I was little - but she was still around (I saw her every second weekend usually) so did not leave as such.

I now have 2 girls aged 7 and 3.

kokomo Sat 20-Jun-09 12:26:05

Thankyou both. Could you contact me through C-A-M and i'll get back to you asap.

Littlefish Sat 20-Jun-09 12:28:07

kokomo - you're not set up to receive CATs. Please could you change your settings.

kokomo Sat 20-Jun-09 12:33:30

Whoops .. sorted. Thankyou

lynniep Sat 20-Jun-09 12:43:54

my mother left when i was 2 and i was brought up initially by my nanna. then 1st stepmum then 2nd. i have a ds 2 and one on the way. I dont have the CAT thing though (and I aint paying a fiver!!)

theoptimist Sat 20-Jun-09 14:20:57

Hi there, I have 2 daughters and one son, my daughters are 8 weeks old and almost 6yrs old and my son was recently 8 yrs. My mother left when I was young and I wasn't in reality brought up by anyone - I was left to do the bringing up of my baby brother. My dad was 60 and thought girls should do it all - I am the only girl and have three brothers.
I'm not sure what CAT or C-A-M is.

kokomo Sat 20-Jun-09 14:46:20

Hi Lynniep & Theoptimist, I'd really like to have some contact with you both but i'm not sure what the 'policy' is around giving my email address on the site. Leave it with me and i'll find out. I'm new to this so bear with me!

PaulaAtMummyKnowsBest Sat 20-Jun-09 17:30:56

i don't have CAT either

kokomo Sat 20-Jun-09 18:55:45

OK it looks like i need to do this through talk/media on the website. I'll set this up and let everyone know what to do next. Bear with me as I may not be able to do this until early next week (trying to get an essay in for Monday). Thanks all for your patience.

elportodelgato Sun 21-Jun-09 21:46:08

I'd like to make contact too as I'm really interested in this.
My mum left when I was 7, my dad remarried when I was about 9 (I think).
My DD is one and I am a little frightened of how my mothering skills will work out because of my experiences.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now