Talk

Advanced search

Dinner time advice please

(6 Posts)
megcleary Wed 17-Jun-09 21:02:56

Dd is 21 months and generally a lovely girl recently after each meal she always has a piece of fruit or a yogurt she has been probably a perfectly normal child but I just want some advice on what to do.

I ask what fruit she wants plum banana and give whatever she asks for and then she throws it on the floor shouting no. Fair enough, I pick it up say we don't throw fruit and you wanted this so please have one bite. I have been just staying with her repeating the one bite please after what seems like an age but is probably a minute and a half she has a bite and says all done. Grand, says I this is going in the bin pop it in there and then a minute or so after she gets down from the table she is looking for it.

I realise this is a long dull question but any advice. Am not sure what is the best course of action?

MaureenMLove Wed 17-Jun-09 21:35:02

Don't offer her fruit, is the simple answer. It's the fruit that is causing the stress in you, she can see it and is playing on it. Just don't bother. It won't be long before she's asking for fruit and she'll eat it all, because she's realised winding you up doesn't get a reaction anymore.

oregonianabroad Wed 17-Jun-09 21:36:54

I'd just slice it up and put it out where she can reach it while she's toddling around.

oregonianabroad Wed 17-Jun-09 21:38:16

Also, don't put it in the bin, save it for later -- give her the bit that she has only had 1 bite out of (obviously toss it out after a day or 2) to reinforce the message that wasting food is not acceptable either.

But don't let her wind you up, just stay calm.

warthog Wed 17-Jun-09 21:38:20

yup. stop the fruit.

megcleary Wed 17-Jun-09 23:12:51

thanks for the advice will give it a shot

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now