Talk

Advanced search

is it weird to still use a baby monitor with a 23 month old?

(21 Posts)
bumbly Wed 17-Jun-09 15:37:17

still in cotbed rather than bed so until is in normal bed where can get in and out still use monitor

is that odd? do you still use yours?

nickytwotimes Wed 17-Jun-09 15:38:07

I use mine with 3 yr old as I wouldn't hear him otherwise.

Seeline Wed 17-Jun-09 15:38:23

The whole street could hear my LOs by that age - no need for a monitor grin

rubyslippers Wed 17-Jun-09 15:39:38

i still use mine as once DS is tucked up and we are downstairs, we wouldn't hear him yelling otherwise

i turn it off when we go to bed

ChocolateRabbit Wed 17-Jun-09 15:40:07

Yep. DD is 23 months (yesterday). I use it because when she is iin bed and I;m downstairs I can't hear her until she is howling and then wide awake and very cross.

I also sleep very deeply so need to have the squawk next to the bed so that someone will hear her.

I'm planning to stop when DC2 arrives in October because will be co-sleeping etc and can't face 2 wide awake babies more than necessary but if DD could get out of bed and come into us it would be a lot easier.

SydneyB Wed 17-Jun-09 15:40:28

Surely whether you use a monitor or not depends purely on whether you can hear 'em or not without it! Not necessarily on what age they are. We can't hear anything from our kids room when we're downstairs in the eve with the telly on etc.

sorky Wed 17-Jun-09 15:40:50

No, I got sick of mine when Dd1 was about 6mo.
I didn't use it with the next 3. I found I knew when they woke up, weirdly!

How big is your house that you need a monitor to hear a 2yo, Seeline is right, normally the whole neighbourhood can hear my lot too! grin

lynniep Wed 17-Jun-09 15:43:26

DS is 27 months and I still use it downstairs (really dont need it upstairs as we sleep next door).
I dont really need to as I'd hear him making a rumpus, but I like to use it. Don't think its wierd.

Poledra Wed 17-Jun-09 15:44:34

I still use mine - DDs are 11 mos, 3 and 5 years. The design of our house is such that you cannot hear a thing from upstairs unless you are in the room directly below it. When DD1 was ~ 2.5, I forgot to switch it on one night, and went into the kitchen. When I went back into the livingroom, I could faintly hear a noise. Went upstairs, she was hysterical with fear because 'I called you, Mummy, and you didn't coooooooome!' She could have been crying for anything up to 20 minutes. blush

It's a case of whatever suits you best, do it and to hell with what the rest of us think grin

fucksticks Wed 17-Jun-09 19:01:21

i still use one for my 3.5 yr old

alittlebitshy Wed 17-Jun-09 19:03:39

we used one until dd was 5.2. This was when ds was born. had ds not come along we might still be using it with her blush. We stopped because when ds was tiny and in our room we didn't want dd's yelling to wake him up....

DidEinsteinsMum Wed 17-Jun-09 19:08:02

I used one until ds was 3.5 (when he took it apart) same reason as Poledra -its a great way to ensure you can hear if the house is such that you wouldn't

hana Wed 17-Jun-09 19:09:06

didn't use one at all for dd3 blush

LilRedWG Wed 17-Jun-09 19:09:36

I use one with DD who is three as we are not guaranteed to hear her otherwise and she doesn't get out of bed even when very upset and in need of a cuddle.

lambanana Wed 17-Jun-09 19:14:28

We still use ours for dds who are 3 and nearly 2 and who share a room.

Not a particularly big house but we like to hear straightaway if one of them wakes so that we can nip whatever the matter is in the bud before the other one wakes up too!

hazeyjane Wed 17-Jun-09 19:27:25

we use one for 3 and 2 year old dd's, dd1 has asthma and sometimes if she is wheezy or coughing we wouldn't hear her without it. Dd2 talks in her sleep and i like to be able to hear what she says!

bumbly Thu 18-Jun-09 20:03:07

oh thank you soooooooooooooo much!!!!

for your replies!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GeckoLovingHornedThing Thu 18-Jun-09 20:05:10

I still have one in the room that dd2 (4) and dd3(2 and a half) share
I wouldn't hear them from downstairs till they were at full scream else and I'm not into that

applepudding Thu 18-Jun-09 23:16:34

I had to buy a new one when my DS started school. We had stopped using it originally when he was about 3, but after he started school, although he seemed quite happy there he went through a period of waking up about 9.30 p.m. and sitting sobbing. One night after he had done this for a while and we hadn't gone to him he came down the stairs and ran up and down the hall really screaming, so after that we bought a new monitor so we could hear him when we woke up.

nancy75 Thu 18-Jun-09 23:19:15

we never used one because dd is a little on the noisy side, and when she was small we lived in a tiny flat. but if you want to use it, then do, dont worry about being weird, its your child and if it makes you feel better then thats great.

Twinklemegan Thu 18-Jun-09 23:21:07

Of course not, I did. I was paranoid that he might wake up choking, or indeed whimpering, in the middle of the night and I wouldn't hear him. The only reason we don't use it now (he' nearly 3) is because he's currently in the same room as us.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now