Talk

Advanced search

Untitled

(5 Posts)
suis Wed 17-Jun-09 01:53:40

My DS is 2.5 and obsessed with Dr Who. My DP got him into watching it (it's the only way to keep him sat on his potty) and now he has to watch it before bed, plays with character models and loves his Dr Who magazines.

We do supervise his viewing and skip episodes or scenes that are too scary and he is only allowed to watch one episode per day and that is at a set time.

However, I'm not 100% comfortable with this. Although DS isn't scared by it, and he has lots of fun pretending to be a dalek or a cyberman, and he also loves Noddy, Thomas the tank engine, Night Garden and all the other usual people.

Do other children this age watch the same things ?

Mumofagun Wed 17-Jun-09 02:07:29

The DVD's from the episodes are marked "12*. A 2 1/2 yr old should not be watching.

Mumofagun Wed 17-Jun-09 02:17:24

It seems that it is DP's passion and whilst Dr Who is for kids, NOT 2.5 yr olds as I said, DP as done this for his own benefit. Has he, cos he doesn't want to watch Thomas the Tank Engine? If I argued, Robocop (18), Terminator films (12 - 18), were DS's favourites if I fast forwarded etc, would this be acceptable? Maybe I'm anal or I think there is a time and a place and you're just getting DS into growing up too quickly as is the want these days. If he likes the figures etc, there is a cartoon Dr Who DVD to relate to. Why does he have to watch waht is these days consiered as sophisticated. My DS loved the Robocop character and watched the cartoon DVD NOT the adult 18 film.

Granny23 Thu 18-Jun-09 23:25:24

My Grandson (2.4) also loves Dr. Who and is looking forward to going to the Dr Who exhibition in Glasgow. His cousin (not yet 2) has already been and really enjoyed it - was not in the least scared.

Mumofagun - I do not understand your reasoning that a story presented as a cartoon is more acceptable than the same story acted out by people. And I do not think you can compare Terminator and Robot Cop (lots of blood and gore) with Dr Who, which the BBC choose to show at 7,00pm on a Saturday and on Christmas Day when loads of little ones will be watching.

suis Mon 22-Jun-09 01:01:35

Thank you Granny23 grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now