Talk

Advanced search

Body Hair Removal

(11 Posts)
titchy Mon 15-Jun-09 16:52:47

Having seen posters (myself included) react with horror when someone talks about a 10 year old waxing their legs, I wondered what people's views were on underarm hair in their young dds?

For some reason I would be horrified if 10 year old dd wanted to wax or shave her legs, but quite happy if she wanted to shave her armpits.

I'm not sure why - after all at some point she's probably going to get rid of underarm and leg hair.

Any views? At what age did your dds start to shave their armpits?

psychomum5 Mon 15-Jun-09 16:56:48

well, my DDs starting shaving their legs at 11, mainly due to the fact that they do ballet and 'everyone else did it', but then, I do aswell so I cannot really say no to something trivial like that (IMO at least).

shaving under their arms, well......only DD1 has under arm hair at the moment, none of my others do, and she never even told me that she had started shaving.

I did however sit down and show them the best way of shaving their legs tho......saves on the horrid itchyness when they do it wrong (like I did wink).

Firawla Mon 15-Jun-09 20:40:56

As soon as they get it (underarm etc) i would explain to them how to remove it and encourage them they should do that for hygeine purposes. legs does not really matter, if they want to i dont think i would stop them

oodlesofpoodles Mon 15-Jun-09 21:05:07

I think I would show my dd how to wax or shave her underarm hair as soon as she gets it. I was mortified by mine and too scared to shave it. I thought I would cut into a blood vessel or something even though I had been shaving my legs for ages. She is only 3 so its not going to be an issue for a while. She has thick dark hair and very pale skin so there is a good chance that she will want to remove her body hair quite young and I don't intend to make her wait until a socially acceptable teenage age if its bothering her. She has a monobrow too which she might want threaded. I would probably let her have that done at about 8ish if she notices it and wanted it done.

morningpaper Mon 15-Jun-09 21:07:45

I agree with psycho

to me it seems trivial in the scheme of things

titchy Tue 16-Jun-09 09:19:09

OK trivial in the grand scheme of things (but then so are half the threads on MN - the other half being major epics - <titchy idly wonders if MN does a middle ground...>grin), but still can't work out why getting rid of leg hair on a 10 yo for appearance's sake is a bit of a no-no, but getting rid of armpit hair on the same age child is OK...

maya13 Thu 25-Jun-09 14:49:12

Message withdrawn

claricebeansmum Thu 25-Jun-09 14:58:27

I have been wondering the same.

DD (11) has got underarm hair and I have bought her some hair removal cream and shown her what to do.

She is now worrying about her legs - dark hairs but I have told her that it is fine. I just don't want her having to get into all that rigmorol when she is so young. She hasn't noticed her monobrow. Phew.

bumsrush Thu 25-Jun-09 15:08:22

Funny my mum thought it was ok to do arm pits and though hairy armpits were disgisting, but didn't like the idea of me doing my legs and thought in unnecesary, but I didn't get it no one every saw my armpits but my legs were on show prety much all the time.

My DD has very fuzzy but blond legs and I am sure she will be asking soon.

MadameCastafiore Thu 25-Jun-09 15:12:44

Get them epilating from an early age and exfoliating - give it 2 years and they will only have very fine hairs left that will come out easily - much better than shaving or using those bloody chemicals!

maryz Thu 25-Jun-09 15:21:08

I took dd (aged almost 13) to get her legs waxed earlier this week and she and I are delighted with the result, me because I didn't want her shaving, and her because she won't get teased any more and can wear shorts! She also said it was a lot less painful than she expected, and it only took about 10 minutes.

Many of her friends have been shaving and have cut themselves badly. I don't want her using the cream, e.g. immac, as I had a bad reaction to it (I had dark hair which was difficult to disolve so I left it on too long and burnt myself, at about her age). For dd, her underarms were a particular success. My niece now has almost no hair regrowing under her arms because she started waxing at 13.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now