Talk

Advanced search

Sling question

(16 Posts)
confusedfirsttimemum Sun 14-Jun-09 20:47:53

Hi, not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I'm after some more advice on slings.

I have a Close baby carrier, which I love, but which is getting too hot for me and for DD in this warm weather. Does anyone have any recommendations for a sling which would be good for the weather? It needs to be one going over two shoulders with good support (bad back!) and easy to use.

TIA

hongkongzoe Sun 14-Jun-09 21:06:30

BabyBjorn do this one I found it really good with DC1 when we were living in a very hot and humid country.

Loopymumsy Sun 14-Jun-09 21:43:20

Message withdrawn

littlelamb Sun 14-Jun-09 21:46:27

Yes, I would avoid baby bjorn. I started with a close and graduated to a Kari Me stretchy wrap, but they are quite heavy jersey. (I have bizarrely seen loopymumsy when out and about with her wrap on [stalker emoticon] and it looked so comfy and absolutely beautiful) I use an Ergo now, though that too it getting a bit hot now. I didn't find a mei tai as comfy as a wrap, but agree that they are probably much cooler to wear in this weather

misdee Sun 14-Jun-09 21:49:04

MT or soft structered carriers are probably best for this warm weather. i have been using a connecta when out in the sun, not the solarview one, just a normal one as it seems to keep dd4 cooler.

i do prefer to wrap though, and if you can get the hang of it,then its brilliant. they are easy on the back, and very supportive. and i can guarentee that dd4 will fall alseep no problemns in there lol.

CherryChoc Sun 14-Jun-09 21:51:44

Second the gauze wrap or mei tai suggestions Also I find it less hot to have DS on my back, if your DD is 5 or 6 months or older that could be an option for you.

blowninonabreeze Sun 14-Jun-09 21:54:15

I went from a close baby carrier to a mei tai when DD turned 11 months and I wanted to carry her on my back. Its fabulous and very cool in this weather

confusedfirsttimemum Mon 15-Jun-09 09:26:35

Thanks guys.

I should have mentioned that DD is only two months, so going to be too young for a back carry over the summer. She has good head control though, so I don't necessarily need her head totally held, just gently supported.

Thank you for the suggestion of the Bjorn - it might appeal to DH as something a bit less girly! I think for me a MT or a wrap might be the solution.

Misdee - do you find the clips on the Connecta ok? I am always a bit nervous of anything with buckles and how flexible it will be? Do you get a good fit?

I like the idea of a wrap, but am still a bit nervous of them. Is there any real difference in the brands, except for the type of material (i.e. do you do the same knots and wraps?).

As you can tell, bit of a sling novice, but eager to learn. Soooo much easier than a pram most of the time.

monkeycat Mon 15-Jun-09 10:27:57

I have a calin bleu gauze wrap and really like it . It's straight forward once you get the hang of it .

I also recently got a Connecta and love it . DH also likes it - it is very adjustable , and the buckles are quite chunky and easy to use .

I am very comfortable using either of these slings , tho' I find the connecta easier for a back carry.

If you get a connecta I would suggest getting one with a sleep hood .

dorisbonkers Mon 15-Jun-09 10:47:23

I used to live in Singapore and didn't have a pram or pushchair thing and used the Calin Bleu gauze wrap everyday -- it used to dry on the balcony very quickly when washed.

I cannot recommend the wrap enough. I always used a front cross carry www.calinbleu.com/baby_sling_instructions.html

I've been in the UK for a month and we've had a few warm days but I find the Girasol German woven wrap (fairly thick) absolutely fine, to be honest.

Still haven't bought a pram!

2Shoots Mon 15-Jun-09 10:48:26

I have an Ergo which is fab

Loopymumsy Mon 15-Jun-09 12:39:39

Message withdrawn

confusedfirsttimemum Wed 17-Jun-09 14:27:30

Thank you Loopymumsy.

dinkystinky Wed 17-Jun-09 16:56:59

Confused - I have a close carrier which I use with DS2 (now 4 and a half months). I've just bought a Becco carrier from Slumberoo as DS2 is starting to get a bit too heavy to be comfortably carried for long in the close carrier. The Becco is abit like a baby bjorn combined with a close carrier - if you can imagine it - which is really comfortable and is very similar in style to an ergo. You can carry the baby on the front or back and there is an infant insert inclued for smaller babies.

confusedfirsttimemum Wed 17-Jun-09 17:31:46

ooh, that sounds interesting. I'll take a look. I can tell I am going to end up with about 3 or 4 slings and having to explain my spending to DH...

Loopymumsy Wed 17-Jun-09 19:39:12

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now