Talk

Advanced search

gecko is in a forward facing, 5 point harness car seat, a couple of questions...

(19 Posts)
TrinityRhino Sat 13-Jun-09 11:08:53

is it just the weight that you make sure is right or does her height make a difference

her head is above the top of it now, does that make a diifference?

also if she is to stay in a 5 point harness one (even if I need to buy a better/bigger on then where do you get those thingies for holding together the straps so tey cant take their arms out?

TrinityRhino Sat 13-Jun-09 11:12:25

anyone?

TrinityRhino Sat 13-Jun-09 11:15:52

I've tried to find out with google but I'm crap
<whimper>

psychomum5 Sat 13-Jun-09 11:17:31

I always thought it depended on weight TBH, but as mine have not been in them now since DS2 turned 5 and he was tiny, I could be talking out my arse

I am sure someone more intelliegent than me will be along soon.....

MissisBoot Sat 13-Jun-09 11:17:59

Think it is a bit of both re: height and weight - I guess you make a judgement on whether her height would mean she wasn't being held securely in her seat.

No idea about the thingies though

psychomum5 Sat 13-Jun-09 11:21:56

oooh, I do know shoulder height makes a difference.

ie, the shoulder straps have to be equal to her shoulders, not going up-and-over, nore equally being a huge gap going down to her shoulders as they are too low (hoping that makes sensehmm)

TrinityRhino Sat 13-Jun-09 11:24:05

oh yes, that makes sense I think I need to move the shoulders straps up to the next slot then definietly

she seems to have suddenly sprouted ike a weed grin

differentID Sat 13-Jun-09 11:25:32

are her eyes/ tips of the ears level with th etop of the seta yet? if they aren't don't start panicking. Find out how much she weighs as well.

Those chest strap things are most definitly not recommended in the uk.

Poledra Sat 13-Jun-09 11:27:39

I've always based it on weight and shoulder height. DD2 is outgrowing her 5-point harness toddler seat based on her shoulders (can't move the straps any further up) so I'll be getting her a new seat in the near future, even though her weight is still OK. Just as well, as DD3 is getting a bit podgy for the infant carrier.....

TrinityRhino Sat 13-Jun-09 11:29:03

I think her eyes are level with the top of the seat now

is that not right then?

differentID Sat 13-Jun-09 11:33:28

that is normally the indicator- I would look into a high back booster with harness if she's still very light. The back can then be raised , but Gecko is still in a 5 point harness.

psychomum5 Sat 13-Jun-09 11:50:53

don;t panic just yet.....move up the straps and go with that until you find out definitive info

TrinityRhino Sat 13-Jun-09 11:53:48

good idea psyho
she doens't weigh much
shes skinn but seems to have suddenly got very long lol

psychomum5 Sat 13-Jun-09 11:57:21

CarGirl Sat 13-Jun-09 12:12:00

which car seat have you got, because I had a britax renaissance that was bigger for tall children, there is also a chicco one that again has a very tall back. They both fitted longer than the elvova 123 using the 5 point harness.

I had tall dc, it's a nightmare!

I've actually got a speacial needs one for dd4 now to keep her in a 5 point harness longer.

I also used a harness clip www.amazon.co.uk/Sunshine-Kids-Lock-Tite-High-Performance-Harness/dp/B000KN6XE4 they're not approved in this country because in an accident it would take longer to get the child out of the car seat however it was far more likely that my child would have died in an accident because the straps would have been undone by her on the quiet!

I sold mine to flamesparrow ages ago - she may still have it?

TrinityRhino Sat 13-Jun-09 15:13:42

thanks cargirl
ita a nania car seat

that look like the perfect thing
smile

psychomum5 Sat 13-Jun-09 16:04:24

ahhhh, you were the lovely woman who saved flame from going nuts and the flameboy then cargirl

tis a very fab device, and one I wish I had had with my darling little shitemonster psychoboy2!!

CarGirl Sat 13-Jun-09 16:56:27

if you're feeling rich this is what I have, the 2 way elite

www.incarsafetycentre.co.uk/shop/special.html

dd is nearly 4 104cm (if not more) and she still fits in the middle shoulder slots!!!! I ended up getting it as I can using the tethering straps to make the car seat secure in my lap belt in my acient espace much cheaper than buying a new car.

It does sound like your car seat is small though.

TripleTroubleMuffin Sat 13-Jun-09 16:59:44

Weight and height are both important but I would say weight more so.

I saw a neighbours 7 and 2 year olds in the car without any car seats yesterday. shocksadangry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now